Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo...my bike just failed the CO test at the emissions station, and to be honest, I'm not sure what to do about it. The bike is more or less stock, and runs fine. I've tried searching, but it sounds like bike failures are either rare, not widely tested, or it's such an easy fix no one talks about it.

Any help?

Resources I can turn to?

I'd rather fix it myself, if possible, just out of attachment to my bike.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
+1 on lean it out.

You can always lean it out to the point that it will pass then after it has passed inspection, return the setting to what it was before.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
No! Its an emissions test problem! First of all, hows the bike running?What kind of modifications have been made to the breather filter,carbs and exhaust? Any ignition upgrades or changes? If the bike is running fine, then your problem is getting by the test. Take the air filter out, install new plugs and rap the rpms up to 5000 and then let them stick their probe in the tail pipe:eek: That bike only needs to meet the motorcycle emissions standards layed down in 2001. If the bike wont meet those numbers, then how much over the CO limit was it? Barely over can be corrected with a tune up(new plugs,etc). But if its way over the 2001 standard and the bike has been running fine, Id roll it in there sucking as much air as I could give it by removing the air filter,making sure the choke is wide open and the baffles out out of the pipes. Do anything thats going to allow more air to flow through the combustion chamber without jacking with the carb. Is the CAS system still intact? That was the factory engineers answer to your very problem, getting by the emissions numbers. Pure and fresh 87 octane gasoline without the 10% ethanol will help too. This just occurred to me. You indicated "AZ". If that test was taken at an elevation of more than 2000 ft above sea level, that can be the problem. Have the test conducted in Phoenix during a high barometric pressure period and shell be able to breathe lots of clean air.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Oh I'm impressed, someone has their thinking cap on. I doubt I would have ever thought to consider the elevation as a contributor. But then again I live and ride in an area that you could probably roll a bowling ball 5 miles in either direction if you could get it to stay on the pavement.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the CAS the California air system? Unfortunately not the model I have. Or, if it's something else...enlighten me...

The plugs are about a year old, and I haven't made any other adjustments. The bike runs great, other than the usual weird Vulcan noises. I don't know what the limit is, and the number they gave me was (I think 5.50?) which is meaningless to me.

Really hard to find info on this around the net.

So choke out decreases fuel in the mixture? For some reason I thought it was the other way around.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
The CAS(Clean Air System)is an air suction system that supplies fresh air to the exhaust valve area to prolong and more efficiently burn the exhaust gasses. Stick some new plugs in that thing.Clean or change the air filter.And you do not want any choke at all.The Idea or purpose is to allow as much unrestricted air to flow into the carb as possible,the result is a leaner and cleaner burn. Thats how to reduce carbon monoxide and maximize performance too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts