Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've rebuilt the carb, found 2 bad diaphragms and changed them but that didn't help. It happens after I've rode for about 20 minutes and as I start to slow to a stop sign I can feel it start to bog down and hitting the throttle doesn't seem to do anything to help unless I move the throttle back and forth really fast but that's sketchy. It almost feels how the bike feels when you first start it up and have to use the choke.
When the bike finally dies I can only start it of I pull the choke out and start it back up and even then it barely runs. Luckily I was pulling in the driveway and limped it home but I'm confused and I can't seem to find many answers online.
It feels like it's something to do with the throttle but I've read it could be the gas cap, the vacuum, the kickstand sensor, or the idle screw isn't out enough. I'm hoping someone has fixed this because I've seen multiple posts with similar symptoms just no suitable answer.

PS. I might also want to add that when this happens I can sometimes feel the air filer popping a bit on my knee, like it's backfiring.
Sorry for the bad explanation. I'm not sure how else to explain. Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Switch the tank to 'prime' position, your vacuum operated petcock may have failed, otherwise verify carb bowl vent tube and tank vent tube are both clear.

·
944 Posts
If you have followed 9094's suggestions and no joy, then it is likely that your pilot jet(s) are plugged. Were they removed and meticulously cleaned? Do you have an inline fuel filter so your carb cannot get dirt from the fuel tank? Other possibility is that you have a vacuum leak. Check connection between carbs and cylinder head.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Switch the tank to 'prime' position, your vacuum operated petcock may have failed, otherwise verify carb bowl vent tube and tank vent tube are both clear.
So I switched my petcock to prime and rode the same route as yesterday when it died and it ran just fine from what I can tell. Does that mean I just need to replace the petcock?
I'm going to test it again tomorrow with a long distance drive.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have followed 9094's suggestions and no joy, then it is likely that your pilot jet(s) are plugged. Were they removed and meticulously cleaned? Do you have an inline fuel filter so your carb cannot get dirt from the fuel tank? Other possibility is that you have a vacuum leak. Check connection between carbs and cylinder head.
Putting the petcock to prime seems to have did the trick so I guess I just need to buy a new one now.

Thanks

·
944 Posts
That's an easy but expensive fix. Before spending the money, make sure the vacuum hoses are all connected properly and in good shape (no cracks or leaks). You should also consider getting a rebuild kit instead of buying a whole new petcock.

A quick test of your petcock can be done by pulling the vacuum line off the petcock and attaching a short piece of new line. Then pull off the hose that feeds fuel to the carbs. Next make sure you have enough fuel in the tank and set the petcock to the ON position. No fuel should flow from the petcock until you apply some vacuum to the short piece of new line. If you get good flow each time you apply a vacuum, then you know the petcock is ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts