Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a vulcan 800 01 model died on me and has spark and getting gas won't start. This bike has only 3000 miles. I removed carb and rebuild it the diaphram was torn. still no start. I was thinking maybe jumped time but only 3000 miles I doubt that. has good compression also.. Stumped... Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks All

·
I was at D.O.D #1!
785 Posts
If you are certain that you have all three fuel, air, and spark...then I would start checking the safety switches. Side stand switch, kill switch, etc. A short at one of those will kill the engine.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
If you are certain that you have all three fuel, air, and spark...then I would start checking the safety switches. Side stand switch, kill switch, etc. A short at one of those will kill the engine.
But it does so by turning off the spark.
By what method did you determine you have spark? What did the spark plugs look like when you took them out?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But it does so by turning off the spark.
By what method did you determine you have spark? What did the spark plugs look like when you took them out?
I pulled the plugs and grounded them and they had spark the plugs were wet and black..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a resistor in the ignition switch ( 1/2w 100-ohm) if that goes out the bike won't start.
Would it still have fire ? How would I check this out ? I'll check the other things posted Monday tommorrow being Easter . Thanks Guys

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Clean and dry the plugs. Re-install and try again. Leave petcock turned off at first...the problem may be too much gas, especially since the carb has been apart.

Post back with your results.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
There is a resistor in the ignition switch ( 1/2w 100-ohm) if that goes out the bike won't start.
That feeds the ignitor, it will not fire if the resistor has gone "open"

I pulled the plugs and grounded them and they had spark the plugs were wet and black..
What color was the spark?

Clean and dry the plugs. Re-install and try again. Leave petcock turned off at first...the problem may be too much gas, especially since the carb has been apart.

Post back with your results.
No off on the petcock, it is vacuum operated. Pull the vacuum line off( the small one) and plug it.
Do what was advised and clean the plugs, take a butane lighter and burn off the "wet", a safe distance from the bike of course. Then take an old toothbrush and clean the black off of the porcelain. Re-install and try to fire again. Sounds like you simply have it flooded.
Check the oil level, if it appears to be up any at all from where it normally is, change it before you start the engine. If it appears to be very thinned down with gasoline change it whether the level is up or not.
One other thing, pull the air filter off to inspect. If it is soggy with gasoline it will be near impossible to start.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks All I will try tommorrow and post the results

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tryed everything suggested no start I did all I could do . So its at the Kawasaki dealer now.. This is my friends bike. I told him to leave it with me a couple of day but he wanted to take it to the dealer.. I was gonna check all the electronics with a multimeter . I guess he had no faith in me.. So pay the Dealer. I can't work with people standing over me never could. his loss some thing dawned on me after he left he pulled the gas line to show me it had good gas flow it did but I think he had it in the on position so gas shouldn't come out on on only when vacuum is applyed. so I think it was just flooded. I tryed to phone him before he got to the dealer but his phone was off oh well ..Also there was 2 plugs under the dash one had a resistor or something plugged in one and the other was blank is something supposed to be plugged it both connectors? also he was low on oil I know cars have a cutoff switch that wouldn't allow the motor to start. Does these bikes have that ? I will post what the dealer finds to let yall know.. First bike I couldn't get running but I'm more oldschool..:cry: Only 3 thousand miles it had a big spark the gas would squrt gas from a jet in the carb opening wouldn't even pop.. I still think it was flooding from the petcock being on all the time.. We'll see when he gets the BILL..Thanks for all the suggestions All..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts