Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think it is a great idea. I was talking to Shane Mccoy from www.tobefast.com . He said that they were sticking a dry nozzle in front of the air filter. He said that gives it a softer initial hit. I looked into the wet kit but it is a pain to plumb up. I have talked to several guy on the r1-forum that have the dry kit installed and everyone loves it. As soon as finances permit I will have 1.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well from what I read, this one that I want to get is the Wide Open Throttle model which means you can have the nitrous kit on and cruise around no problem but when you whack open the throttle, the nitrous kicks in. I think thats pretty cool.. 759.00 is not a bad price to get an extra 20-30 ponies. :lol:
r1schmelz said:
I think it is a great idea. I was talking to Shane Mccoy from www.tobefast.com . He said that they were sticking a dry nozzle in front of the air filter. He said that gives it a softer initial hit. I looked into the wet kit but it is a pain to plumb up. I have talked to several guy on the r1-forum that have the dry kit installed and everyone loves it. As soon as finances permit I will have 1.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A friend from work had a 35 shot on his 2001 Hayabusa and was running 9 flat in the 1/4mi. It can be done on an FI bike with some tweaks to the ECU. I don't know how rev limiters work on bikes but make absolutely sure you dont redline it on the juice if yours cuts fuel and not spark...yow, can you say lean condition? I'd recommend a WOT switch and RPM window switch as well, plus a master arm switch for when you don't want it at all.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Nitrous isn't bad to use on the drag strip, but get a wheelie bar and never, and I mean never touch the stuff on the street, One of the locals around here drags hayabusa's, extended swingarms and nitrous, shot some nitrous going 100mph and the bike wheelied and then proceeded to go flying, along with him.

he has a new hayabusa now, and he doesn't touch the nitrous on the street. (I also think he's a dumbass, but what do I know?)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a Kwak Z750 a few years back, GPz Turbo Engine, with NoS.

Absolutely maniac, and I loved it.

If he lost control of it, then he is obviously not a good rider... No matetr how powerful a bike is, you should NEVER take it over what you are capable of, and it can often take a good rider to know their own limits, as well as the bikes.

NoS can be a brilliant idea, and if used sensibly ( If NoS can be called that ) then it can be great fun. Go on, make your own day, have a laff.

·
Registered
92 Posts
To reduce N2O 'kick' on a bike, it helps to use a progressive controller. You set a start % and a finish % (say starting at 10% and maxing at 100%) to gradually feed more and more juice in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, when I bought my Z750, it had already had the necessaries.

However, it had a delay kick in of 2sec, then it hit. The delay was adjustable, as was the hit, but thats all, you had to stop the bike to adjust anything, you could delay up to 4 seconds and the hit was simply just a tap, however, when you are running on NoS, the last thing you want to do, is lean over and turn the thing.

I had it changed, so the NoS didnt actually start until I hit 3 or 6Krpm ( Switchable ) and then it was progressive, but I also had it on a switch too so I could completely disable it cos to be honest, its not really needed unless I was wanting to frighten some poor fireblade owners.

The trouble is, that it made it all so complex, and even after that, I ended up not bothering to fill it up once it emptied - it was just too much hassle, but at least the bottle looked good.

I have been thinking about this today with the ZZR... I am only thinking mind you, and only about putting a fake NoS bottle on! - setting it up so it looks all plugged in of course, with the pipes etc in the right places and see if it actually fools people?

I might actually pull it off!

Right, where did I put the Fire Extingusher?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
NoS

ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUS? I used to say that ANYBODY could drive a straight line...I'm not so sure of that anymore. Knowing the limitations of your bike is one thing, knowing your limitations is one heck of a lot more fun. Find a closed mountain road, take your bike to a race track, find some old US highways and a couple of buddies with CB Radios, and cruise the road till you start picking up speed and better times...get a cheap dirt bike...but NoS??? Not only are you asking for trouble from yourself, and perhaps problems from the Nos, but mechanical problems thath could happen to anything that now are seriously compounded with the addition of the Nos. Tires, drivetrain, anything that can go wrong...stressing the bike and the rider all at the same time. If your 600 isn't large enough then go with a ZX-10R....Uncle BoB, tell 'em!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree to a point. Putting NoS onto a bike is definitely NOT just a matter of slapping it on! - at the very least, the engine has to be sorted to handle the extra power, and yes, even a ZZR will blow its arse out if you just added it, but then again, a ZX10 is still only a ZX10, and a ZZR600 with NoS would be a hell of a lot quicker than it.

Plus of course, there is the insurance to think about!

You can take the NoS off it if need be, but the ZX10 will always be a ZX10, and as such, the insurance will always kil lyour pockets!

I have to say though, that my insurance is cheap as chips, so it wont bother me ( Fully Comp for a GoldWing1200, with the ZZR600 and a GS850 added on, came to £104 - UK Pounds ) so thats cheap as hell really!

I got a quote for a ZZR1100 a few weeks back, and that only came to £130 so a ZX10 would be same or cheaper.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
INSURANCE

I'd bet that your insurance doesn't know about the NoS addition...here they can really get ugly if you make changes an not report them. We have lots of Chevy S-10 Pick up trucks that stock had 4 cylinder 2.8L motors that now have V8 5.7L motors in them...insurance finds out about it and they can cancel on you for not reporting hte changes or lying about the vehicle modifications in the first place...leaving you withe the lawsuit...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
NoS on a Kawasaki

I still don't see the thrill, understand the reason for breaking the law. IF you can only go to a MAXIMUM Speed LIMIT like 70MPH in most of the US then ther is no real use for it unless you are on the drag strip, as there would be no use for it on the street. This FORUM does not condone breaking the law///speeding. Sure there are some shortcuts like swapping sprockets, replacing lamps with LED's, going to racing tires, but all of that deals with street conditions like in the city whre there is slick concrete, rough concrete, asphault, even in my case some gravel over clay roads. Winding a bike out to near redline with proper environment is an awesome feeling, and sound when it reaches that point. I've been on the track and it is much safer than the road, and I've broken the law in several states with my '74 Camaro just for a go, but never at the risk on anyone near me. Now that I have grown up I see that it was, and still is stupid. Even a tire blowing out at those speeds, a power steering hose spraying oil all over the road or a radiator blowing, transmission blowing could ended or worse yet maimed me for the rest of my life. Mechanical failures happen. That is why Kawasaki has, as well as safety schools have a daily check list. I must be getting way to old as when I was 19 I wouldn't agree much with my own writing right now...but wisdom comes with living and watching things happen that you never would believe. You want to put your bike up against the 250 class winner even with your Nos, I'd still bet on the 250...you'd rather spend money on something temporary than to spend you time in school/or on the road learning how to actually ride. You could put the money from the Nos into a riding school and learn something tha tyou could use for the rest of your life instead of "Blowing it" out your---tailpipe. I'm not sorry for the lecture. I just hope that you can actually read this in sincerity and understand that learning about your bike and spending on your bike is more important than just blowing some money on a gas...and then it is gone.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No no, I agree 100% with you.

I consider myself a very good rider, I am 31 and have owned motorcycles since 2 montsh before my 4th ( Yes, fourth ) birthday, and I have never been without one since.
I am an ex courier, and 12 years ago, my wife and I toured europe on a Guzzi, and to visit every city and loads of other places to see etc, in europe took us 2 years and 4 months, in that time, we did 180,000 miles ( hence using a Guzzi - We knew it would do it - and it did ), so as far as road experience, I would say, that I have plenty.

I am also a member of the Celtic Warriors, and have been since almost the start, and I am a manber of NABD ( National Assoc. for Bikers with a Disability ) and SODM ( Society of Disabled Motorcyclists ) and I have seen far more deaths and severe disabilities in my time than you would beleive, some of the people were dear friends of mine...

However, this has never put me off riding, and I seriously doubt anything will.

I do see your point though, that is not the issue, however, I did not say that buying the NoS for his ZX/ZZ would be cool for burning away from traffic lights etc, no! - using NoS on the roads, is stupid, however, its not illegal to use it whever the hell anyone feels like ( Town use is an abolute no-no ) and providing the insurance company know you have the NoS bottle, the ionsurance itself should not be affected, providing it has the ability to be disabled for road use. ( Depends on the policy I suppose? ).

Open days ( Oulton park frenzy / Manx TT etc ) is the time to use them, and thats what I was referring to... Ok, I admit that I never said any such thing, and perhaps I should have.

This ZZR is the smallest bike I have had for a VERY long time, and I am having some fun with it... And why not? I am not risking my own life, or at least I am pushing the bike, but keeping well within my own limits, and yes, there are many things that alter these limits such as road conditions/ weather and of course the all-important "CAR DRIVER" etc, but while I do give it a quick thrash now and then, not once had there been any other user on the road at that time, and not once have I just opened the throttle and "let it rip".. Every time, I have given it just enough to pull me like hell, but also just enough so that I am in control ( where control can be a fair word, because "you never know" as they say! )

I have never taken a corner at any stupid speeds either, and I know about corners - I live in wales, where dozens of people every year are killed on bikes, and all of these are so-called "Born again Bikers" - you know the type, owneda BSA 20 years ago, got a new GSXR last week and so on! usually caused by the bloody farmers laying cowshit all over the roads, or car drivers not looking, so I know all too well about how easy it is to lose a bike, no matter how good you think you are, or how good the bike is, there is always something trying to kill you!

Once again, I know where you are coming from, and trust me, I know, but I have no intention of stopping myself from having some fun.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, I appreciate your imputs and thoughts on the NoS issue. It was just a thought of mine. As for the ZX-10R. I would love to buy one but unfortunately, my 01 ZX6r is paid for in cash and I hate making payments on Toys. My insurance is only 33.00 a month for full coverage. That totals about a little over 400 a year.

Maybe I'll stick to the safe side and keep it the way I got it. Of course, when I think about it, I have the smallest CC bike out of our group. All my fellow riders have R1's. Hence the reason why I didn't buy one.

Again, thanks for the inputs!! :D

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TRUTH

Ahh, the TRUTH. I see way to many people dead and maimed. I visited the Cycle Salvage Yard last month and put a deposit on a EX250/GPZ250R/Ninja250R, 2002 with 1028 Miles on it. Someone had pulled a Wheelie gone bad crushed the rear fender cracked the tail light and then let her fall over on her left side Fortuantely breaking only a bar the upper fairing and the instrument cluster was just hanging out. I purchased it because I need one for Physical Therapy. I have three blown disks in my back and the "Failed Back Syndrome" scar tissue has grown back in and now I have no feeling (partial sometimes) of my feet and legs). I didn't know that ther ewere national organizations for Disabled Riders...something for me to look at here in the Heart of America. I feel bad and get upset when I see NoS bottles on the bikes in the area, especially the light weight 600-1000cc bikes, with rich kids riding them. They tear something up and their dads buy them something else brand new. I live in a very rich neighborhood and county (Johnson County Kansas). You see kids driving Mazda 8's, turbo charged Hondas, Toyotas, and you also seee a lot of wrecked cars in the area. I work in an 1893 Museum right on US-56 Highway in Gardner, Kansas, and I see bikes going down the highway on one wheel daily. when the light turns red I hear the downshifts, even some poor braking ans the tires scream to a stop. I'm sorry if I was offensive, but I care about kids, even grown-ups living a full life, and to me from what I have seen with reference to NoS...it's pure nonsense...IF it is used responsabily by someone that truely knows and comprehends what it will do, then enjoy it...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ZX,
I don't take any offense to what you're saying. Its good that people can offer their $.02 cents.

I, however, didn't have my bike handed too me. I saved for 6 years to pay cash up front for this motorcycle so I am enjoying every ounce of it before I go and wreck it like my 96 zx6r I wrecked back in 97. Gosh, what a shame.. :(

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
2 CENTS WORTH

I'd love to have either one of the ZX-6 bikes...lighter and more powerful than the Ninja 500R! I have "Failed Back Syndrome" since my surgery to repair 3 herniated disks in my back. I can't set upright and take the pounding on my back but I can manage a Cafe' style/Sport bike. I'm on Social Security Disability Insurance now so money is really tight. I found a Ninja 250R with 1028 miles on it at the salvage yard in pretty great shape, and the owners live in my home town where the shop is a little over 22 miles away...so I get a really great deal on it...$1,625.00 after the taxes, including all the parts that I need...If I ould find a pocket deep enough for a 600 I'd have one for a very long time! Thank you for your kind response...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, there goes my ZZR ( Sounded better to call it a ZX6 though! )

Today, I went to my mates house... It was just on 55 miles away.

It started to miss on one cylinder, I stopped it, it would not idle, but I had to get it home, and I hoped it was just something silly, I only had about 20 or so miles to go anyway.

All of a sudden, it went... It ran on all 4 and so I took it to 80, and left it there...

Then, about 10-12 miles from my home, the cylinder stopped firing 1-2-3-4 ( not sure in what order, but they all dropped off, and the engine dropped with it, until it just trundled to a halt. )

Not been bothered to check whats gone, its too dark, and I pushed it for about 7 miles, and I am now absolutely knackered, and I am going to bed.

Its at a local 24hour garage, and I think it should be ok there... I have asked the guys there to keep an eye, and they said they would, but they cannot be held responsible for it - fair enough though.

I have awfull feelings that its something real serious and expensive, but thinking about it, I am hoping that it will be something so stupid, such as the carbs just came off - in a left-right or right-left fashion, and that would explain why it failed in such a way, but the sound would be different for sure? - not that I now as I have never had a carb come off except on a single.

I want to swear!

I now have a Suzuki GS850 that needs the gaskets doing
I have a car, but I have not yet passed my test ( April 13th )
And now the Kwak is buggered!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts