Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just took a gamble and bought this bike.... and im not a gambling man. 01 zx9r no spark. the guy i got it from had it all powder coated an put it together rode it for the day and it wouldnt start after that. he changed ecu, stater, new wire harness, voltage reg, still no start.... the guy was orig owner an really took care of this thing, 16k in 9yrs and wasnt a hard core rider.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I dont know anything about your particular bike, but the first thing that pops into my mind is making sure everything is grounded that needs to be!

I have built a bunch of Harleys over the years & upon putting back together, always something will need the powder coating scraped off of for a good ground, & sometimes customer comes back, with something not working, usually was a headlight. lol but I have seen coins not grounded. but I dont know if your coil needs to be grounded or not?

it may have had just a little bit of ground, that enabled it to run. but lost it. due to vibration & a heating & cooling cycle.

anyway thats the first thing that poped into my mind.

Later,
Randy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no spark

ok every one i figured it out, 6hrs of testing every single wire an connection, and it was the gray wire out of the ignition, it broke off the diod so i soiderd it back an it fieded rite up. thanks every one for the ideas an the direction to look. green yur threads were the best

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
ok every one i figured it out, 6hrs of testing every single wire an connection, and it was the gray wire out of the ignition, it broke off the diod so i soiderd it back an it fieded rite up. thanks every one for the ideas an the direction to look. green yur threads were the best
Nice one :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
PM from odin1

"you helped me get my bike going, now today was the first time i tried to ride it. it fires rite up beautifuly it revs with out a pop, as soon as i take off it breaks up. the speedo bugs out it gos up an down it`ll go good for afew seconds then ****y. it seems to be electrical.... what could it be. the person i got it from put a new pulse an stater voltage regulator, a used igniter, and a new wire harness. could it still be the ignition switch? im not much of a soldier which i had to do cuz the gray wire came loose of the diod in the switch."

Hi odin i have pasted your message onto the forum so other knowledgeable members can add their input if so desired ;)

It sure sounds like electrical, Somethings maybe breaking down under load.

A poor electrical connection whilst ok delivering a reduced voltage with the bike at idle (Not under load) will very often break down when asked to deliver extra ponies (UK term)

I would make sure your Battery is delivering a good voltage to the electrical system for starters.
Check the Battery voltage with the Ignition off & with the Bike running.

Trace all accociated wiring for the Ignition system and check the connections for corrosion or poor contacts.

Make sure both earths (Grounds) from the Battery are making good contacts.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Nothing to add but I'll reinforce the part about the ground. Majority of the time I've seen the tach or electronic speedos go bouncing wildly it was due to a bad ground somewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put a battery from a scooter in the bike because the battery that came with it was no good, so could it be that the battery is not putting out the rite volts or amps. Two of my riding partners say the same thing. I did check my grounds, I even ran the ground from the frame over to the battery. I'm going to get the right battery tomorrow. I hope it works, thanks guys.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Weak battery or maybe even too small of a battery will definitely cause running issues although I'm not sure about the gauges reaction to that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
75 bucks for new battery, and it still acts up. the speedo bounces around. sometimes it`ll sit still on 0 then if you rev it it`ll start to bounce around when the revs come down. or it`ll sit ideling an bounce between 20 an 30mph. no clue

1 - 13 of 13 Posts