Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to remove the piston on my 2002 kx250 but I dont have the special tool the manual says I need. Any tips or hints that I can put to use without having to get that special tool to remove my piston?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
are you takein the piston off the rod and need to get the rist pin out?

if so this is how i get the circlips out to remove the rist pin.i use a small poker tool and theere should be a hole or half circle to stick a poker in and pry up on the circlip and remove it,for the rist pin if it is slightly stuck you can use a 3/8 extention and use the end that the rachect goes into and put the end into the hole where the rist pin is and hold the piston still with one hand and lightly tap on the ext and drive the pin out.BUT MAKE SURE YOU HOLD THAT PISTON STILL CAUSE YOU CAN DAMAGE THE CONNECTING ROD IF U SMAck THAT HAMMER 2 HARD ON THE EXT.

iv done this many times and had good results use a rubber mallet to smack that ext i just pulled the piston out of my lastest project bike 250 mojave and i got lucky the rist pin pushed right out with my finger presuure only hewww :) but on a yammy 80 i had to use the hammer and ext method to remove the pin.

hope this may help you out a little -corey-

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
You can make a puller using a piece of 1-1/4"dia.X 4"lg plastic pipe and a 8"lg. 1/4-20 all thread with 2 nuts and 2 washers. One washer needs to just fit inside the piston pin opening and flat against the pin edge. The other washer needs to be a fender washer or a washer lrger than the pipe diameter. Assembled and fitted correctly this puller will not only remove the pins, by removing the pipe, it will also press in the pin at reassembly.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
preach on brother kawpaul.:) some times you have to use what you have lying around to get the job done. like theres 5 ways to use a wrench
1 pry bar
2 a lever /parallel. perpendicular to another wrench
3 open end
4 boxed end
5 a hammer?

and this ones for laughs a hole puttin in the wall tool when we get angry lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.