Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been slowly working on this bike for a year, ride it every weekend. Stripped, slammed, and rigid. All done with hand tools and a grinder.

(progress shots)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you,
The bars are 12" and I actually just re-routed the stock cables and they worked out just fine. The pod filter works decent with some carb tuning. Noticeable power gains mostly from tying down
the rear swing arm with a solid strut. Makes it really fun to ride now. Did some more paint work this past weekend on the wheels and forks, will post more pics soon after I put this 150 rear tire on
and a bit of polishing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No kit. I replaced the rear shock with a strut/straps which moved the swing-arm closer to the frame and hard tailed it. For the front I cut down the steel spacers in the forks to about an inch and a half.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a chance to do some paint work on the wheels, forks and headlight
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's all in the prep. Took awhile to clean up each and every spoke with soap and water. I sanded the wheels first with 320 grit. Just enough to scuff it and take of the chrome sheen.
I used rustoleum auto primer, layed down quite a bit and used a fine scotch bright pad after it was dry. Then I used pretty much an entire can of rustoleum high performance enamel, spraying really light and just working my up to heavy. That stuff tacks up fairly quickly which made the process faster, still took all day. Topped it off with some rustoleum clear. Came out great.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same process for my gas tank I used
Self etching primer, wet sanding after
Duplicor metal specks, silver. Whole can.
Then Duplicor red anodized which gave it
A real nice candy appearance. And most importantly
I used spray max 2k clear with lots of wet sanding
And polishing after. Less than 50 bucks and I've splilled
Plenty of gas on it. Paint holds up great.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Pump Hopper
2,503 Posts
Thanks for the how to.
When I painted my tank, I found out eventually, that regular clear won't hold up to gasoline, it's t he 2 part urethane that will, is Spray Max the rattle can clear that has the button on the bottom of the can that releases the harder? Others have said it stands up to gas. I used the Matt clear from Color-Rite, no gas spots it's been a few yrs,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah it's the 2 stage rattle can with push button activator. I think it has a 48 hr shelf life. I was very pleased with the outcome. I picked it up at the local auto paint store for under $25 bucks. How much did that color rite run ya? Initially I wanted to do a gloss black with matte black striping but didn't want to clear it and lose the finish.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You mentioned that you cut your spacer in front forks, is that hard to do or easy, and is sliding forks up in trees recommended. I'm not real knowledgeable on these things yet but good with my hands.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its a pretty easy process, just get the front wheel off the ground. The clips can be a pain and an extra set of hands helps to push the springs down to release tension. If you go with pvc at least you can try different sizes to see which ride height suits you best. Other than the pegs scraping, and looking good, no known issues from lowering the front end.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice to see the old 800's still going strong. I have a 97 800 Classic, love the bike the way it runs and rides. Power Commander under the seat, Thunder Jet Kit, Thunder Air Kit, and Cobra pipes with RK chain. The 800's are just a lot of fun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts