Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an issue a few weeks ago with my 02 Bayou 300 sputtering and bogging in low rpms. If you gave it enough gas, it would come out of it and ride fine but it seemed to sputter and bog going uphill and starting out. I changed the spark plug and there was nothing overtly wrong with the old one (no oil, not caked with crud, not white). But it still bogs and sputters. It was fine for about 15 minutes. I took it for a spin and all was good but it started doing it again. I don't know a ton about these bikes but i'm handy with a wrench. If anyone has any suggestions I would like to try them. Thank you in advanced for the help. If you have any more questions, I will answer them.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
From your post I sounds like it starts and runs good for a while then after some time it begins to bog and sputter.

Given that set of symptoms I would check the coil. However, it could be a corroded negative battery cable to ground connection, or even a battery on the verge of failing, so I would get it tested at a battery shop for free.

If it is neither of the above, then have the igniter checked. But, if that is the problem they usually become hard to start once they start the actual sputtering, then will start right up cold again.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
:) also check the air filter, also after those checks may want to get a manual so you can check valve lash and compression,after that id prolly take the carb down and clean it. process of eliminations start with rcw suggestion then move on to these suggestions, could have carbon build up on the intake valves may want to do a top end clean with seafoam before adjustin valves etc,if you adjusted a valve with carbon build up it may be wrong due to the valve not seating all the way in the seat,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also checked the air filter. It looks fine. Completely clean and free of gunk. Its also moist with the filter oil. So i don't think that is it. The neg battery terminal is pretty gunked up. So I'll take a wire brush to it and try to clean it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts