Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm brand new to the forum here. I know how to use the search function in forums and all, and found nothing on the problem I'm having... so I'm seeing if I could possibly get some assitance from you guys.

I bought a new 2002 Mojave last winter at a local ATV dealer. I paid for the bike earlier in the week so everything would be ready so I could pick it up that coming weekend. Well, I drove out to pick up my new bike that weekend and the salesperson informed me that they couldn't get the brand new bike to start. So I was kinda pissed that they knew I was coming that weekend to get it, and knew I had an 80-mile drive and didn't even bother to call me ahead of time. Regardless, they didn't have a person there that day to check the bike out, so he said he would give me a call sometime next week when they find the problem.

Well, later that week they told me that there was something wrong with the choke and the bike would be fixed and ready that coming weekend. By the way, at the time of the purchase, before I came to actually pick the bike up the guy who did all the paperwork for the sales of the bike also showed me some kind of inspection sheet that was done when the bike was assembled... and I'm sure they were supposed to start the bike at least once after they got it together tp out on the showroom floor. Evidently they didn't because I don't see how something like that could go wrong just sitting there.

So here I am now, just over a year later having problems with the bike. With the fuel line in the ON position the bike starts to bog out and I have to rev it up really high to keep it running. Yet, if I put the fuel in the RESERVE position, the engine runs completley fine. I know I have good, clean gas in the tank, so that's definitely not the issue. I've hardly ever ridden the thing since I've had it. I've wrecked it quite a few times :lol: but only rode it for maybe 40-50 hours since I've owned it. I'm not sure if there could be something wrong with the choke again, or if this is a new problem. I've changed the oil and filter several times since I've had it, and of course, on schedule. I've also taken out the air filter once and cleaned it (though it wasn't at all dirty) about 7 months ago. Haven't ridden it much since then... but I of course always ride it hard so I don't know if I might have done some damage to it. I did break it in and all when I first got it, so that wouldn't be an issue either.

Well sorry for writing a story... just wanted to be as descriptive as can be to help you guys determine what could be the problem. Thanks a bunch and I would appreciate any help you could give me!

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
25 Posts
You may want to pull and check your spark plugs. Check to see if your have been running rich (black wet looking plug). If the plug looks wet and black, pull it and replace with new. When you run the choke, you are running the engine rich (alot o' fuel), to get the machine warmed up. When the idle levels out, turn choke to off or lowest position to prevent running too rich and fouling up your plugs. Hope this helps
Brian

·
Registered
142 Posts
If your bike runs fine with the fuel petcock in the reserve position and not the run position you have a problem with the screens on the petcock. There may be something in it from a tank of bad gas or it is mashed shut.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts