Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the bike 1 month ago.

I would really like to learn how to do an oil change on this bike.

Can anyone point me to a good write up for this?

I live in the Atlanta, GA area - I have no idea where to get parts either.

PJ

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Dealership for the oil filter, or order it off of the internet. Either dealer or walmart for oil. You need to make sure the oil you are going to use will work with a wet clutch. Oils that have a label "Energy Conserving" on the bottle will not work. I personally run Rotella T full synthetic 5w-40.

To change the oil you'll need to remove the bottom fairing. Its a snap, 2 screws on the front right under the radiator and 2 bolts at the bottom near the centerstand.

Make sure the bike is on the centerstand or a rearstand and put a oil pan underneath the bike, remove the oil filter (located on the front side under the exhaust pipes), and then remove the oil plug (17mm bolt on the underside towards the front on the oil pan).

Drain oil, replace filter, put plug back in, add 3.2L or it might be quarts, check in the owners manual and it will tell you how much to put in it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Freakinout, or anyone else with a 500R, I was wondering, do you always use the the Dealer oil filter for the 500R? I found the following site while looking around for information on oil and oil filters.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

It has a list of oil filter cross references. I was thinking about trying one of the Car filters that it has listed because they would be less expensive than buying the filter from the dealer, and also they have some better filtering media available so I could get a better filter for the $6 I pay for a Fram filter from Wal-Mart. I just purchased a 2000 500R and have already performed one oil change on it, but I was planning to change the oil again after about 100-200 miles to flush the system out. I will second Freakinout's recomendation of the Shell Rotella oil. That is what I am planning on using after I have finished flushing out the system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Freakinout said:
Dealership for the oil filter, or order it off of the internet. Either dealer or walmart for oil. You need to make sure the oil you are going to use will work with a wet clutch. Oils that have a label "Energy Conserving" on the bottle will not work. I personally run Rotella T full synthetic 5w-40.

To change the oil you'll need to remove the bottom fairing. Its a snap, 2 screws on the front right under the radiator and 2 bolts at the bottom near the centerstand.

Make sure the bike is on the centerstand or a rearstand and put a oil pan underneath the bike, remove the oil filter (located on the front side under the exhaust pipes), and then remove the oil plug (17mm bolt on the underside towards the front on the oil pan).

Drain oil, replace filter, put plug back in, add 3.2L or it might be quarts, check in the owners manual and it will tell you how much to put in it.

Thanks, I just called a local kawi dealer & got some prices:

$11.52 for Kawasaki OEM Filter

$3.50/qt for Kawasaki 10w40 oil

So, im going to go ahead and buy this stuff today and attempt to do my first oil change on the bike Saturday! hope it goes well :)

Now... I just have to figure out how to get the bike on the centerstand :roll:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts