Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have recently found a Kawasaki Vulcan windshield in the trash and it appeared to have never been used. I talked to the guy throwing it out and he said it was for his brothers Vulcan 800. I have the windshield and can't find mounting brackets for it or even an answer of whether or not it will fit on my 1500. I will attach a picture below. I have also found mounting brackets sold on amazon from Memphis shades. I am wondering if I could pair the two and make it work. any help would be greatly appretiated.
IMG_5092.JPG

·
Registered
148 Posts
Got a better picture of the brackets?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yep, not sure who made the Kawasaki fire&Steel windshields, Thought a pic of the back side from different angles might jog the memory. (I did see a NOS mounting kit for the 800 on ebay,)

I don't remember them having the big Vulcan emblem on the dealer installed stuff, wondering if that's a Nomad shield?
This is what the dealer installed ones that I remember looked like
1 NEW Genuine KAWASAKI VN 800 VULCAN WINDSHIELD w Mounting Bracket OEM Parts NOS | eBay

I think you have a 1600 Nomad shield there, that is why I wanted to see the mounting it has, check this pic of a 1600

·
Registered
148 Posts
And we're just looking at the shield hardware in that last link, it shows their larger shield with the vent, (which doesn't work that good,,,)

I'm not sure the Nomad and Classic have the same fork spacing, so using factory mounting stuff might be a problem, though in reality 4 big P-clamps around the fork tubes may be enough. I have a Slipstreamer shield on one bike, it had a tapered clamshell that went around the upper part of the covered fork and had 1 long fin towards the front with3 slots for mounting a shield

·
Registered
148 Posts
And if you went to buy all that shield hardware it wouldn't be cheap I'm thinking a minimum of $500 from the dealer, Sell that one on ebay and get one that fits yours if nothing else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And if you went to buy all that shield hardware it wouldn't be cheap I'm thinking a minimum of $500 from the dealer, Sell that one on ebay and get one that fits yours if nothing else.

I got the part number MEM9926. Like you were saying, the fork spacing may be an issue with this shield. If it is a nomad shield I may have better luck than it being a Vulcan 900 shield due to spacing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hard to tell, the wider one may be easier. For the 900, the brackets on the shield bolt to #11054A and B here, which bolt to the turn signal bracket which mounts under the headlight bracket and the top bolts to the front of the top triple tree, If you could get these bolted to the fork,,, just get longer bolts and chrome spacers at the hardware store, Westlake has a pretty good assortment of chrome and stainless stuff these days,

2010 Kawasaki VULCAN 900 CLASSIC LT (VN900DAF) Cowling | Ron Ayers

I'd sell the Kaw shield, keep the Memphis Shades brackets and get their DropTop shield, it's the same principle as mine and might be the least turbulent out there without making your own.

FWIW: I spent 11+ years working on getting rid of the windshield turbulence,,, One of the reasons I sold my Nomad. I eventually came up with a way to fix it, but some think it's a bit strange, :

A shot of my other bike, (can't find the pic backups) note the 2 layers and the deflectors on the frame down tubes. (An engine guard is a better place for them, just some Lexan scraps from a glass shop and some P-clamps) and they need to angle back at the top a bit. The 2 layers on the shield helps prevent Von Karman vortices and the deflectors complete it by directing air up into the vacuum behind the shield Kármán vortex street - Wikipedia I have a similar setup on all 3 bikes now. 75 down the interstate feels more like 35 used to and I'm looking over them. Not sure yet that shape is all that critical, my 1100 has a large top section while my Versys has a large lower shield and small top section, all 3 work which makes me think it's having an effective 2 layers is the key. Look at the newer touring bikes, most all have now got a large opening at the bottom of the shield to do whay I;ve been doing. Memphis Shades is the only one I know of selling something even remotely like mine for Cruisers. Theirs is more like my Versys which also works. Dang, starting to preach again, but after 11+ years and a small fortune on shields, I'm telling everybody.

·
Registered
148 Posts
As for NationalCycle, I had their SwitchBlade setup on 1 bike, tried 3 of the 4 versions. I have to say they were all turbulent, with the smallest Deflector the best if it was laid back as far as it would go, this left the turbulence at chest level with your head in clean air. The Chopped being the worst. Bike was un-ridable over 40. even tried the polished lowers they sell for these. minor help. I've determined the lowers on the fork tubes are too far forward to be effective and if they're in the same plane as the shield, might actually make it worse.
When I asked their "tech support" if they even tested these things, their answer was "We're a marketing company" Wouldn't take it back.

Their Hardware was of good quality, dang thing just didn't work. I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam, so pretty normal...

Also had their VStream touring on my Versys, it didnt work either, was slightly better than the stock shield though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As for NationalCycle, I had their SwitchBlade setup on 1 bike, tried 3 of the 4 versions. I have to say they were all turbulent, with the smallest Deflector the best if it was laid back as far as it would go, this left the turbulence at chest level with your head in clean air. The Chopped being the worst. Bike was un-ridable over 40. even tried the polished lowers they sell for these. minor help. I've determined the lowers on the fork tubes are too far forward to be effective and if they're in the same plane as the shield, might actually make it worse.
When I asked their "tech support" if they even tested these things, their answer was "We're a marketing company" Wouldn't take it back.

Their Hardware was of good quality, dang thing just didn't work. I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam, so pretty normal...

Also had their VStream touring on my Versys, it didnt work either, was slightly better than the stock shield though.
I purchased the mounting brackets and waiting for them to arrive. Also I happened to drive past a Vulcan 900 with the same shield and it had the exact same mounting brackets as you mentioned. I will entertain the idea of making my current shield work but im more than likely just going to go with the Memphis shades shield that is similar to yours. Since you posted on here I didn't even know about windshield turbulence so I spent some time on YouTube where a few people discussed the topic. Many have mentioned doing what you did by mounting deflector onto the frame. I really appreciate the advice and your help with everything! Very helpful!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts