Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 Vulcan 1500 classic that I purchase February 09 with 8500 miles. I have just noticed a slight oil leak from the top of one of the heads. I have about 11k on the bike now. Anyone have any ideas what the cause may be?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Kajcanes,
I have and 05 1600 classic that developed a coolant leak that turned out to be a loose hose clamp on the top of the front head, it is a common problem. If your's is and oil leak I would think it could be loose cover bolts. Dugg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dugg,

It looks like I will have to remove the gas tank to get to anything. Is it as simple as it seems to be to get to everything on top?

thanks

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
It's the cam plug.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Cams plugs are cheap, but the engine has to be removed to replace them.

Try to clean it up really good with a degreaser and put some black RTV over the cam plug. That's fixed it for several people on the forum, and was the same advice given to me by the local Kawi dealer.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
The front can be accessed by dropping the engine still in the frame, but the rear I'm pretty sure the engine has got to be removed.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Mine started leaking between 12-13K miles (14.5K on the bike now) so up until now I've just kept cleaning it off. I am going to try the black RTV fix as soon as it warms up a bit.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Let me know how well it works if you get to it before I do mine. Don't think I'll be riding mine anytime soon... hopefully in a few weeks the weather will improve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sure will. trying to get ready before bike week in daytona. I will let you know how it goes.

thanks again

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
sure will. trying to get ready before bike week in daytona. I will let you know how it goes.

thanks again
Don't forget to meet up with other members at bike week.
Many of us meet up to say hello at different events throughout the year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts