Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 250 Ninja with 3.2k on it.
I just bought the bike so the bike was sitting in a garage and I am assuming he did not drain the carbs for winter. Previous owner said a mechanic did the 3k service, but I will be checking doing it again cuz I dont trust them. I bought the bike and was able to drive it around for 25 miles before this problem came up.

The Bike Starts and cold idles with the choke fine and when it warms up it runs fine for a little bit. Then it dies and it dosent want to start. If it gets cold while pushing the bike home(I can only get 1-2 miles away until it dies) sometimes it will start but it will idle horribly and die when given gas or I try to ride it. This got progressively worse over 3 days, as the first time it started(after it died) and I was able to ride it home, but not the last few times. Also, choke has to be completely on for it to start. I am a newb to motorcycles but I am mechanically inclined, so I will be working on the bike.

Any suggestions other than cleaning the carbs?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I honestly don't think you've got any choice but to strip and clean the carbs, something obviously got dislodged and is now blocking one or both carbs or there was sludge/water in the float-bowls.

if you really don't want to strip the carbs it might be worth draining the tank and fetching the fuel-tap out to check the filters are clean and clear. Before you drain it you could check if you've got fuel flow in the ON and RES positions.

Drain the float-bowls and see what comes out.

A gallon or two of fresh with some fuel-line/carb-cleaner in and try again.

New plugs wouldn't go amiss :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
If it starts back up after sitting, there could be other problems.

-Gas tank vent not working properly. If it starts to run crappy, try opening the gas tank lid quick and see if that helps. This one is easy to figure out

-Another problem could be the electronics going bad when they get warm. Most electronics, if they're bad, will fail when warmed up. I doubt this is your problem, but if you're scratching your head after a carb clean, this would be something to look at.

-I think you're on the right track with the carb cleaning. It seems like it solves 70% of problems. if not more. Just make sure your cleaning is thorough. Want to be sure so you dont end up taking them off a second time to find out. Soak overnight, then blow compressed air through all holes and jets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I took out my carbs and tried to clean then, but they were already clean. Drilled out the idle mixture caps, and set them to 2.5 turns, and when I reassembled everything I made sure the gas vent wasnt pinched under the seat (where it was pinched a little bit). Set the Idle speed and its running fine.

I wished I knew about the exhaust vent before I took everything apart, because thats what I think it was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Old *** thread, but it wasnt the gas vent. I just didnt have enough gas in the bike. :hammer: . It would start back up because I would shake it around and gas would go over the hump into the fuel feed side. I took apart the carbs and all that for nothing, but its cool because it was the 1st time I messed with carbs and I learned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts