Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok to make a long story short my Oil plug vibrated out and ran out all the gear oil thus burning my clutch up. This past weekend when I got some new plates and installed them. The bike still acted as if the clutch was worn out. Could this be a dissengagement problem or is this hub/basket related. I didn't replace the springs and thought about putting in a set of my 450 springs would this work or am I asking for more burnt plates.

Basically the bike snails forward (just barely, not enough to pull it up a hill) and revs virtually freely.

Thanks for any insight on the issue I just don't wanna drop the cash on another new basket and such if it is not necessary.

·
Registered
917 Posts
how about a quote from yourself posted like 30 minutes ago:

"If the clutch was slipping the bike would rev freely it just wouldn't go anywhere. It wouldn't feel like you ran out of throttle it would sound like you were going wide open, but going maybe 10 mph if that.

I'm a pro at burntout clutches I have a tendency to go through them pretty quick.
2003 KX 250 #386
2007 KX 450 #122 "

Since you are a PRO at burnt out clutches why should anyone respond?

Are the hub/basket parts all grooved deeply from the plates? If not, why would they cause a problem and need to be replaced?

Springs can last a long time and still exert the same consistent decompression force, but may be they are weak?

Sounds more like an engagement problem than disengagement.
Did you adjust your clutch cable?
Did you replace both fibers and steel plates?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ok to make a long story short my Oil plug vibrated out and ran out all the gear oil thus burning my clutch up. This past weekend when I got some new plates and installed them. The bike still acted as if the clutch was worn out. Could this be a dissengagement problem or is this hub/basket related. I didn't replace the springs and thought about putting in a set of my 450 springs would this work or am I asking for more burnt plates.

Basically the bike snails forward (just barely, not enough to pull it up a hill) and revs virtually freely.

Thanks for any insight on the issue I just don't wanna drop the cash on another new basket and such if it is not necessary.
If your trans oil drainplug fell out, and you lost all your fluid, this would have NO effect on "burning" out a clutch (that is if you had a strong clutch to begine with). If anything your clutch should have become excessively grabby and "stuck" from oil starvation between the drive plates. Lastly if you lost all your trans fluid, and drove the bike for a long high speed distance, I would be far more concerned as to the condition of all the oil starved transmission shaft ball bearings.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Clutch issue

Running the crankcase out of oil will definitely hurt the clutch so. I would recommend a change in all friction and drive plates as well as new springs. Along with making sure u installed it all correctly and left slack in your clutch cable. The only other part that may have been damaged is the last metal plate that is the first part to go in the basket upon assembly.Or the outermost pressure plate that the springs go in.Measure to be sure they are in spec or look for grooved burnt spots or discoloration. I have had instances where that was worn too much and even with all new clutch parts it slipped a little,nothing however to the degree you are experiencing. Your basket will definitely not have been damaged because of no oil. As long as the drive fingers that drive the friction plates arent notched excessively then I would use it no doubt.I hope that helps you buddy. Tear into it again and fix it up. You will find the problem. I used to ride KX 250s from 99-02 so I have been in there a few times myself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[/QUOTE]Are the hub/basket parts all grooved deeply from the plates? If not, why would they cause a problem and need to be replaced?

Springs can last a long time and still exert the same consistent decompression force, but may be they are weak?

Sounds more like an engagement problem than disengagement.
Did you adjust your clutch cable?
Did you replace both fibers and steel plates?[/QUOTE]

Burning them out yes I have done it many times and replaced different steels/fiber plates twice in this bike already before. I never said I was a pro at running my oil out of the bike.

Polar Bus : Lastly if you lost all your trans fluid, and drove the bike for a long high speed distance.I would be far more concerned as to the condition of all the oil starved transmission shaft ball bearings.....

The bike wasn't completely out of oil when I stopped. As soon as a noticed a lack in the drive performance I pulled off the track where it continued to drain fluid. Do you still think that the loss of the amount of oil that was possibly lost still could have effected the trans shaft bearings?

MC Junkie: Running the crankcase out of oil will definitely hurt the clutch so. I would recommend a change in all friction and drive plates as well as new springs.
As far as the degree in slippage this is definately the worst case I have ever been through with a bike. When I pulled the plates to put in the new ones I definately inspected the bottom plate and pressure plate as you suggested in your reply I didn't spec the bottom one, but I did measure the pressure plate to spec. since I have warped one in my 450 before I didn't want to make the mistake of running a warped plate on another bike.
Basically the basket and all plates fit together when I put it back and there seemed to be no uneaven pressure placed anywhere on the plates. I have had instances where I have received the wrong plate heighth before and the pressure plate and hub would spin freely and the basket and friction plates would stay still. This kit wasn't that case and easily went together quickly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem fixed. pulled out inner hub and replaced with wiseco unit. had the stock inner hub checked and the shop I used said it was the main problem that i was getting given my poor drive performance. everything else is all good to go. Thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.