Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Been slowly disassembling my 03 mean streak motor and hoping to get some guidance or impressions/opinions as I'm no motorcycle engine expert.

Bike seemed like it had low compression on one cylinder, but after taking the heads off my amateur eyes don't see any red flag indications.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fair amount of carbon built up on the top piston, but I don't know if that's normal or not.

I can say the bike ran pretty well, but was consuming oil. About 1 quart every 200 miles as I recall.

Oddest thing was during cold starts it would sometimes not fire on both cylinders for the first 30 seconds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyway I will do some tests and see what I find, and report back. Thanks for all the info and tips, this is the third post on a Kawasaki forum looking for guidance and it has been ghost towns til now.

Much appreciated 👍

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got back to investigating this morning. For the valve leak test I flipped them valves down and filled up above the valves with pb blaster because I don't really have a good way to get kerosene out of the can and into the ports. Some of the valves look to have a little seepage around them, but nothing substantial.

Textile Wood Auto part Close-up Personal protective equipment

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Headlamp

Fluid Ice cube Gas Automotive tire Auto part

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Grille Tread Alloy wheel

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tread Automotive design Audio equipment

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I then started to look at the KACR assemblies.

Everything moves freely, and came off the shaft easy.

Biggest thing I noticed was on one of them, the "relief pin"(what I'm gonna call it) had no signs of wear at all and the other had quite a bit.

Tire Automotive tire Gas Cylinder Engineering

Tire Automotive tire Fluid Liquid Wheel

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I should also add as far as I know, I was the third owner of this bike. Purchased in 2018 with 3500 miles or so, I rode it til 12.9k and removed engine and replaced.

That's not to say some messing around didn't go one before I took ownership. Day I bought it I rode home from WNC with one of the exhaust ports not matched up, so lots of backfiring on the highway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
If worst come to worst I can junk or part out this one. I bought an eBay motor for mine last Christmas and it's in the bike and running well so far.

This was more of a is it salvageable so I can repair and have a backup.

Gonna keep going and see what else I find.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yeah when I bought it it had Vance and Hines long shots, but as I found out, the front exhaust port and exhaust wasn't lined up, like massive gap around it, surfaces weren't square or in alignment.

I fixed that as soon as I got it back to my house, but it definitely got hot, exhaust stud snapped off and I had to helicoil it.

Possible damage was done before I got it, but later on I also installed a hard krome sideburner.

Yesterday on the bike with the new motor I actually put the v&h longshots back on with their baffles.

I modified both exhaust with wideband bungs welded on, and I've used the auto tuner with my power commander basically as long as I've had it. A/F has always been monitored and safe. Rich if anything, but I usually set my cruising along targets at 13.8 ramping up to 13.0 depending on throttle input %

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Pulled the barrels off tonight, easier than I was expecting. There is some evidence of slap on the front cylinder, but running a fingernail across it, it feels fine.

Thinking I may see about having the seats and valves replaced, new rings, hone the barrels and throw it back together.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Crankset Automotive design Rim

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Bicycle part

Automotive tire Rim Motor vehicle Auto part Tire

Automotive tire Grey Automotive wheel system Circle Gas

Automotive tire Wood Composite material Rim Gas

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I have been known to do all kinds of things. Garage is also home to a nice igbt arc welder. Recently changed jobs and I have time to do stuff again (evidence provided 😂). Trike isn't really my style, I had considered building a turbo kit though, not sure how well this engine would hold up. There's a guy on YouTube called doctor motorcycle who does a lot of simple builds on old metrics, worth checking out if you're into that. Gives me plenty of ideas.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts