Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I currently have a 2003 Vulcan Meanstreak, which I have owned for 5 years now. It has 12,000 miles on it as well as a power commander, hypercharger, and vance & hines longshot pipes. Earlier in 2011, after about a month of riding, my engine started to sputter at low rpms and really became a handful to ride. The throttle response was gone and it would jerk untill finally it took off. I took it to my mechanic for service, oil change and a tire, and I told him about the issue. He said it was probably due to the extra ethanol they have been putting in gas. I always use 96 grade fuel in my bike and he suggested a fuel additive that helps with the extra ethanol called startron. He also cleaned my air filter and reoiled it for my hypercharger. This didn't really help my problem. About a week later, while I was riding, the bike was still having the same problem and then my FI light came on. I happened to leave my ignition on while it was parked and my battery later died. I replaced the battery and it helped slightly with the problem, but it still occurs very often. Could my injectors be bad or may I have another issue? Any help would be greatly welcome. Thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same problem and also run the Power Commander. It always occurs when the bike is ridden for over an hour. Any solutions here?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Power Commanders have been known to fail, so that is one thing I would check out. Disconnect the PCIII (go back to stock ECU only) and see what happens. A clogged/fouled fuel injector will not cause the FI light to come on. So running some sort of FI cleaner (Seafoam or whatever the mechanic did) is not likely to address the real problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Removal of the PC 3 was also suggested by a Kaw mechanic. Does the fuel tank have to be totally removed to reach the connectors? If so,do you have a link to removal instructions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I'll trynb the pcIII and update everyone. As far as the first suggestion of cleaning the throttle body, that worked out well. It hasn't solved the issue but it did improve it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
RM53,
Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your bike? I just started having the same problem with my 2004 mean streak.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
If you could post a new thread with the specifics of "your" problem, it is better than tagging onto a two year old thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is the problem with my 2005 MS. It has a Power Commander that was on the bike when I bought it in 2005. After cruising a while, you open the throttle a little and the motor begins to die, the FI light comes on. There is a faint fuel smell. It lasts about 30 seconds, recovers and the FI light goes out. I have not broke down yet but it still concerns me. I have not taken it to the dealer because I don't ride it often

1 - 12 of 12 Posts