Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so the other night after riding for a little bit I go to start the bike and halfway through the start it shuts off and when I try again nothing happens, it just made a deep chug sound each time I tried to start. After pushing it home the next day I take a look at the battery and one of the terminals is corroded and looked like it melted. I replace the battery, fill it to the proper level, and clean the contacts on the wires. Panel lights are on but still the bike won't won't start. It still makes the same noise and sometimes I hear it try to turnover briefly. So before I spend precious dough to have it looked at, does anybody have suggestions?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Read the instructions that came with your battery then go stick in on a slow (preferably 1.5 amp) charger for 8 hours.

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts
Charge the battery up and see if it fires. If you put the battery on the charger and it immediately shows that it is "charged" you need to replace it. Same thing if you leave it on there for a few hours and it still won't turn the bike over.

If you do get the bike to start with that battery, you may want to take it out and ride it for a bit (but stay close to home). If the same thing happens again, then you likely have a problem with your charging system somewhere. If you have a multimeter, you can also measure the voltage across the battery with the bike running. It should be around 12-14v. Measure the voltage at the battery with the bike turned off and record it, then start the bike. Voltage should be a bit higher with the engine running.

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
Since you replaced the battery I'd be looking at the starter circuit. Curious about why the terminal melted on the old battery. A fuse should have blown first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright so now the battery is charged and it will crank. Every other time the engine would fire once or twice but still not a full start. kinda sounds like when you run out of fuel. After a little bit the starter, or what i believe to be the starter (horizontal cylinder under the carb) would heat up and go back to the chug. its definitely coming from that and not the engine. The clicking under the seat went away. I think the old terminal just got corroded, moisture maybe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts