Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the site and looking for some information.
I bought my Prarie new and really enjoyed it. It was running fine and then developed a problem turning over. I took it to my local shop 2 month's ago.
First they found the starter dragging, then they found the root cause was a slipped "none replacable bearing" in the left case. This allowed the crankshaft to slip and bind.
Bottom line $2500.
Has any one heard of this? Is this thing really going to be this expensive to maintain? $1500 of the above is in parts.
So now I have to pick up a bushel basket of parts and reassemble it myself.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
36 Posts
A "none replacable bearing" does not sound correct. The bearing had to be put in after the cases were cast so I would think it could be replaced.

The question is why did it slip, is there a problem with the cases?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Someone is blowing more than just smoke. The Prairie 360 has totally replaceable ball bearings throughout, and is one of the best and most durable ATV engines out there.

They are oil critical and must have clean oil to keep those bearings spinning.

If a bearing slipped enough to cause the damage quote you got it would have to lock and grind out the case and damage the crankshaft.

However, you can easily fix this yourself if you have enough skills with tools to repair a common toilet. The cost of the parts will be in the few hundred dollar range, and it will take roughly a day of shade tree effort in your garage.

I would recommend you go to Kaw's site and follow their links to the parts diagrams and look at the engine cases and crankshaft for yourself. If the diagrams are something you easily understand then pick up a repair manual and go for it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
those were kinda my thoughts. I've decided to pick up my bike and bull through it myself. I have done a lot of repairs on cars and I work in manufacturing equipment maintenance, so should be able to handle this.
The reason I took it to the shop in the first place was that hunting season had just started and I could either hunt or work on my bike.
I have a manual so I guess I'll take the plunge.
Are there some good sites for OEM parts? I do not want to go back to this dealer and the next one is some distance from my house.
Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
One of the sponsors of this site, Beartooth, is a good source of OEM parts. Just click on their logo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went up to the dealer and got my Prairie back. The service writer I was dealing with wasn't there, so I spoke with the mechanic and a different SW.
The tech showed me the "non replaceable bearing" and the damage to the left half of the crankcase.
The main bearing was out of place, sticking out of it's race on the left side.
I tried to move the crankshaft from side to side and up and down, but it didn't have any play.
There was some wear on the crankcase, but it was minor.
Looking in the service manual, it states that the left main bearing is replaceable, but recommends replacing the crankshaft as an assembly.
I don't think the root cause of the left side of the crank rubbing on the crankcase at the bearing race has been found, I'll have to reassemble and see what I find.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Check your crankshaft to be sure that both ends are pressed fully to the crank pin in the throw (holds the bearing for the rod) according to specs.

If that comes loose it will lengthen the crankshaft and could result in the crankshaft pushing into the case. If it works loose the side of the crank that came loose and the crank pin will require replacement unless you have a machine shop that can knurl the end of the pin and press it back so it will hold - sometimes a bit iffy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, that's the only thing that makes sense right now. It will be a few days before I can work on it, work keeps getting in the way.
I guess I need to press the crank out of the right side crankcase to check the crank pin?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, I finally got some time to work on this. I contacted a different dealer who was able to get the irreplacable bearing out of Kawasaki. I ordered a shop press to install it since it was cheap enough (5 ton Press $69.00).
I got the bearing installed and measured the journal and the bearing bore. The bearing was .028" too tight. I'm in the process of honing the bearing to the proper size. The journal was the right size, so it was either make the bearing work or try to get the right size.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
crank bearing

I got one from Kawasaki City in Irving TX. The Service manager called Kawasaki and they said they just happened to have one on the desk. I bought my ATV there and he seems to be pretty straight forward. I have since got the bike running and have driven it a few times on the Deer Lease. I can't say it's as good as new but it does what I need it to do. It still has a small backfire when I shut it off.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
If you have the bearing out of the housing, take it to an industrial bearing supply house and they can cross reference to a current production alternative.

They will not be able to tell you what Kawasaki part it may be, but can match the old bearing to a new one from its measurements.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went up to the dealer and got my Prairie back. The service writer I was dealing with wasn't there, so I spoke with the mechanic and a different SW.
The tech showed me the "non replaceable bearing" and the damage to the left half of the crankcase.
The main bearing was out of place, sticking out of it's race on the left side.
I tried to move the crankshaft from side to side and up and down, but it didn't have any play.
There was some wear on the crankcase, but it was minor.
Looking in the service manual, it states that the left main bearing is replaceable, but recommends replacing the crankshaft as an assembly.
I don't think the root cause of the left side of the crank rubbing on the crankcase at the bearing race has been found, I'll have to reassemble and see what I find.
Do you happen to have the left side crank case plain bearing part number I can’t find it anyway I look on the parts fish online and at the dealer here in town can’t find it at all any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
955 Posts
that's why they call it "non-replaceable". The plain bearing is pressed in at the factory, then it is reamed to size and alignment with the other half of the case, using a special jig and machining operation. The only way to replace it is to replace the cases unless you can source the bearing itself somewhere, then press the new one in/old one out and in perfect alignment and size. The old Mule V-twins had a similar setup on the flywheel side, but that bearing was replaceable, although if it did need replacement, there was usually more trouble than just the bearing (spun in the cases, damaged crankshaft, damaged cases, etc etc). Then if you could get it off of the crank and/or out of the cases, you had to press a new one in, in perfect alignment and after in, mike the oil clearance and occasionally had to ream/machine the bearing itself for clearance. If one was paying a shop to do this, and all that needed to be done, it was usually within a couple dollars of a new crankcase assembly; or in some cases it would exceed the the cost of a new engine assembly if the crank and cases were trashed (which was too common).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts