Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a third to half way lets say a 40 mile cruise through the back country my 360 develops a sputtering problem kinda acting like its starving for fuel upon take off. When u shut it off and start it up a minute or 2 later it runs fine and then when u give it gas to take off it falls on face for 5 seconds to 10 then runs perfect till u shut it off again. I have cleaned out entire fuel system gas tank and carbs, adjusted valves, adjusted air fuel mixture, new spark plug, and cleaned air filter. ATV is stock. I am at a loss as to why its acting like this. If anybody can help i would appreciate it. Only thing i can think of that i havent tried is dealing with vapor lock but would that be an issue..?

·
Registered
142 Posts
On the 360 the exhaust valves are set too tight and can cause the symptoms you have described. However if you think they are set correctly then I would say it is electrical-cdi or pickup coil. If at any time if it has been over filled from too much oil or gas in the oil the pickup coil will go bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the valves adjusted already.. Dealer told me they were a little tight.. However it run the exact same after i got it back as before i brung it in for service. I got less then a 100 hrs on the machine. I have changed the oil once but the level looks ok to me. If the problem was consistent all the time it be alot easier to track. I appreciate the info anything helps..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured out the problem. It turned out to be vapor lock. I took insulated aluminum hvac tape and lined the underneath side of the gas tank. It hasnt stuttered or falled on its face since. Hope this helps anybody else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
power loss on my prairie 650

seem to be having similar problems on my prairie 650. After submerging the motor in water i cant get it to run for more the 10 second without a 3 second power loss. I drained the fuel, cleaned the air filter, drained the float bowls, checked the fuel tank vents, and changed the oil. It idles perfectly, however when you give it any more than 1/4 throttle it will rev up just fine for about 10 seconds, then bog down to idle for about 3 second and continously do this over and over. It occasionally will backfire. Any one have any suggestions? Also could you tell me where the fuel filter is and how to check/clean it? I can't seem to find it. Is it in the tank? Thank you very much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts