Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so this has happened to me a couple of times. I'll be cruising at around 40 mph and the engine will shut off all of a sudden. The lights stay on, just no power to the motor. So I have to pull over and turn the choke on to get it starting again.

If anyone has any advice, it is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
I was at D.O.D #1!
785 Posts
Does it die suddenly, or feel like it "chokes out". Some have found that a blocked vent in the fuel tank cap creates a vacuum and starves the engine. You can tell if this is happening if you quickly pop open the tank cap and hear a whoosh of air. Put your spare key in if you have one and you can open it on the fly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It dies suddenly, and I have to slow down to the side of the road and apply the choke to get it running again. After I put the choke on, I can turn it off after I've started going again.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Could be a lot of things but a couple of quick checks might be a short in the kill switch or a problem with the sidestand switch.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
I was thinking it was your tank's air vent, but if it's sudden, like you hit the kill-switch... it's most likely a bad side-stand switch as mentioned before. Also could be the kill-switch, ignition switch, or you have a short somewhere else.

Just the fact that it starts back up and that the sidestand switch is prone to getting salt and dirt in it anyway, that's my best guess. You could just remove the switch and connect the wires. I don't think too many people accidentially take off with their stand down anyway.
Now failing to deploy the stand when you get off the bike... well, I wouldn't know anything about that :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts