Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dyno Charts Have Been Added

I recently went thru an upgrade of my stock exhaust to a set of Vance and Hines Straghtshots and had a stage 1 jet kit installed. The following are the dyno results.

Keep in mind that the baseline numbers are a tad bit off because it was run with the new pipes not the stock pipes. Also, i have not yet put in the K&N air filter, I'm awaiting the big brown truck before I can. I was told I could expect these numbers to increase slightly with better air flow in. HP I was told shoud increase 1 to 1.5 HP. Not sure about the torque number.

HP before 48.16 hp
after 51.88 hp
Net change 4.63 hp or 9.6% increase

Torque Before 60.07
After 67.87
Net Change 7.66 or 12.75% increase

The numbers themselves don't tell the full story. The torque curve is most impressive. Where the baseline curve goes up slow and eventually max's out at 60.07, the new curve shoots straight up to 60 or so and where it begins to level off to its full potential it is already12 ft. lbs ahead. If I can get the numbers scanned, I will include the charts here too.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

great job spok :wink: posted your data in the FAQ forum - if thats ok :wink:

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fine by me. My daughter will be scanning the dyno charts in her web development class in school. I'll load that as well tomorrow

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good deal man. So do you feel a major difference?

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vulcanrob said:
Good deal man. So do you feel a major difference?
Yeah rob, its a big difference, the power is immediate, no waiting it gets to max torque and stays there

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Well spok these kind of mod's are fun aren't they ? It's suppose to increase gas milage but that's kind of hard since , you tend to roll on the throttle a little more often! <BG> Enjoy

·
Registered
105 Posts
well I know you are having fun with it. I can't wait.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, how do they sound and how loud are they? If you fire it up at 6am will the neighbors hunt you down with pitchforks & torches? :evil:
I am also very curious how much difference the air box makes (are you putting on the Thunder kit?)
As soon as I am through the break-in I want to do something similar to my Classic 1500..
Fun stuff!

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I can start it at 6 am if I need to but I don't live in a crackerbox built develoment. We have larger lots and 40 to 50 feet between the houses. It is very loud with the throttle cracked wide open but I can rumble out of the neighborhood and not be a bother. The sound is Great and exactly what I wanted. My plans don't include putting in an airbox (at this time), I have a K&N high flow air filter somewhere on a brown truck. The carb is tuned to take advantage of that and right now is a tad bit rich waiting for the filter.

It was a miracle to get this work done and past the gatekeeper, that'd be the wife. Since I've retaken posession of my bike from the shop, I have only been on it once, that was the ride home. Its fall here in the Pacific Northwest and that means rain. I'm hoping for all hopes that Wednesday or Thursday will allow me some time to get out and really see what I've done to it.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Spok you can turn the water off anytime in Seattle, Because when it get's over hear a few hour's later it turn's into snow!! :cry: :cry:

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
aint that the truth woody....I'll see what I can do but no promises :wink:

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, it wasn't sunny but it was dry, oh and a tad bit cold. I got my first real ride on my bike with all the new mods. That little 4 mile jaunt home last saturday wasn't good enough. I made a short 75 miler out on a variety of roads. Straight, curvy, city, interstate, sceinic, you get the picture.

One thing for certain, my shift points will all need adjusting. It had become second nature as to when to shift, I was doing it not from sound of motor or speed persay, but because I had become accustomed to my bike I knew at what points to shift. Well, after a rejetting, using those points by feel will get me a ticket!

The torque curve delivers all the power up front and it hangs on. I highly recommend a jet kit to all of you looking for just a tad bit more get up. When I fill up next, I'll let you know how my mileage has been affected. Right now, I'm not really gunning it hard because I want to see the difference in mileage. Rest assured, if its throttle I need, there is plenty to go around these days.

·
Registered
271 Posts
spok, I've got the exact same setup as you, and now after I have about 950 miles on the bike, (I did the exhaust and jets at 225 mi)
I am getting at best, 37 miles per gallon, This is a combo of driving
about 60% highway and 40% city, I am trying to stay out of the throttle,
I hope to take her up to East Texas soon, and see what kind of mileage
I get on the highway,
Good Luck

Dave

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had been getting about the same mileage when my bike was new and still breaking in but as time went along I was up to 40 to 42 mpg. I want to see what it is now, Its raining again today so no trip to the gas station for me. Anyway, thanks for the info, I like the setup we went with to be honest and wouldn't go back for any reason.

·
Registered
271 Posts
absolutely satisfied, The V & H exhaust and the Mustang Seat are the best upgrades I could ever do,
never go back to stock!

Dave

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To be honest, I'm a bit confused about the dyno curves and results that I've listed above. I have read elsewhere both on this forum as well as other websites with specs listed that our 1500's should generate 64 hp and 89 ft/lbs of torque. By looking at the curves above, I'm wondering if either they listed the results correctly. :?

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
look at this spok:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/nomad01/

the turbo version of the nomad claimed 85rwhp and a increase of
30-50% so the puts stock around 45-50 which i believe
I read this article as well as other research and found that the numbers above are in the ballpark. Thanks bike. Those who have stated on the web that the 1500 classics have 64 hp must've been looking at the 1500 FI's. Anyway, thanks again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Spok,

To be honest, I'm a bit confused about the dyno curves and results that I've listed above. I have read elsewhere both on this forum as well as other websites with specs listed that our 1500's should generate 64 hp and 89 ft/lbs of torque. By looking at the curves above, I'm wondering if either they listed the results correctly.
I also wondered why the figures were different. So here it goes.

The Factory HP's given are the power output results from the ouput shaft of the engine done on a test bench. When the bike is dynoed you get HP results right at the rear wheel. Hence, the figures are lower.

These HP results were from a 1997 carbed 1500 Classic with Stock Exhaust System.With different exhausts(V&H - Cobra - DG -etc.) & Jet Kits installed the other Dyno Results are on this same web address:
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/pipecomparo97/index.html
Stock
Peak horsepower: [email protected] rpm
Peak torque (ft.-lb): [email protected] rpm

I just had my 04 Nomad FI with Cobra Slash Cuts also Dynoed at a
PC Tuning Center. Wish I had done this when I first got the Bike.
What a nice performance difference.

We're getting some cold now here in NY. So enjoy the riding while you can :D

DfgPilot

1 - 20 of 22 Posts