Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im pretty new to this whole thing, the idea of a bike sounds.... fun.. but i feel like a moron asking retarded questions cause i know next to nothing... wait i know absolutely nothing about a bike... but i like the way these look not to mention the price... so here was my thought, i figured id see if i could get a used 250R to start out on cuase they are the cheapest ones out so if i f*** up then i wont have wasted a ton of money down the drain right?

so first things first would this be a good model to start on? IE for a beginner will it kill me? =P

anywho if anyone has any suggestions lemme know? my major concern is spending alot of money and messing it up in the learnings of how to ride and such

thanks =)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
NinjaNewbChick said:
so here was my thought, i figured id see if i could get a used 250R to start out on cuase they are the cheapest ones out so if i f*** up then i wont have wasted a ton of money down the drain right?
Buying used will certainly save you money and you won't have to feel as bad if you drop it.
so first things first would this be a good model to start on? IE for a beginner will it kill me? =P
The 250 Ninja is a great bike to start on. Gives you a chance to not be overpowered by the bigger and heavier bikes. As far as killing yourself - You can do that on any bike, but starting with a smaller bike reduces that chance. Sign yourself up for a MSF class locally and they can teach you the basics to riding and give you sound street strategies. The rest of it is what you are doing now which is asking questions and research. Several good books on the market. I recommend "Proficient Motorcycling" and its sequel "More Proficient Motorcycling".
anywho if anyone has any suggestions lemme know? my major concern is spending alot of money and messing it up in the learnings of how to ride and such

thanks =)
Invest in the very best helmet that you can afford - I like Arai's and Shoei's and have it properly fitted. Get a good set of gloves and riding jacket. If you have the money get some riding pants and boots while you are at it.

Always ask the question - no one will turn their back on you for asking something you wanted to know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Invest in the very best helmet that you can afford - I like Arai's and Shoei's and have it properly fitted. Get a good set of gloves and riding jacket. If you have the money get some riding pants and boots while you are at it.

any rough figures on what this will set me back? im already attempting to come up with a scheme to convince my husband to buy these but if they are super expensive.... well just means ill have to be more elaborate ^.~

anywho thanks for the info the MSF classes is that something i could find out about through the DMV near me? also any idea what insurance on this bike runs? im 20 and have a clean driving record but not sure if that comes into play with a bike and by taking the classes will they give a discount like most companies do when you take drivers ed in HS?

sorry if im rambling

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You can get both the helmets for reasonable prices - ebay, newenough.com and a few other suggested places. (200-300)

Where do you live? http://www.msf-usa.org/ Click here and you can find more information on the classes.

Insurance is cheaper on the 250 and some insurance co. give discounts for the class (10% reduction)

20 is better than 16 and if you have driven responsibly, it shouldn't be that bad for insurance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in California, near San Diego

I like Arai's and Shoei's
with the jacket pants gloves and boots is there a specific brand i should look for? the same as the helmets? or does it matter that much?
and being the vane person i am... do they have blue? :shock:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Cali Girl,

Used to live in La Mesa myself and love the weather down south.
I like Alpinestar gloves, but there are many gloves out there. What you want to find is the happy medium of protection vs cost.

You can use good ole fashion boots for basic protection which is better than wearing flip flops or tennis shoes. Try to find ones that have ankle protection if possible and made from leather.

Just so you know - the best protection is from leather, but that costs more. I started with a leather jacket - happens to double as my go out jacket too and purchased the gloves and helmet as a package deal and got a discount. Go into a local shop and try them on. See what helmet you like and fit well. Then go looking for the bargains. Cyclegear is down there and they offer a 10% discount when you open a CREDIT CARD -(bad word) with them.

Yes - they do have blue!

Weather is cooler in San Diego, but Joe Rocket makes a simple jacket called the Phoenix. You can get an older model phoenix for less. This seasons Phoenix about 100-129.99 - last year 50.00

Icon seems to be well liked by many riders. Check them out!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Welcome!! :D
Check out the "Ladies" Forum....."Buying your first Bike."

And don't feel that your asking silly questions, this forum is very informative and filled with experienced riders.

G

·
no question is stupid one we all started knowing nothing about bikes but we all learned and as far as i'm conerned still learning thats a big part why i love this site ,,so many people to help us,so keep on asking and one day i'm sure you will help someone
good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the warm welcome guys it makes me feel better =P and i thought of another question... if this bike has all the stock parts on it... will it be loud? I know for some people their goal is to see how annoying they can make their bike so they can wake up everyone in they're apartment complext but personally... i want a quieter bike and does that sound stupid? =P if it is loud is there something i would be able to do to it to make it quieter (not me personally messing with it but im sure i can find someone who knows something about bikes to do it for me =P) anyway thanks preciate the welcome.

gunna go check out that forum now freakin ^.~

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The Ninja 250 in stock form is pretty quiet by motorcycle standards. I got my 92 today and hardly makes a peep at idle! Over time on a used bike the packing in the cannister will deteriorate and can be repacked which will make it quieter again. If you found someone to increase the baffles inside the can it should be quieter. Same principle as a gun with a silencer on it. It takes the sound waves and puts them through many baffles to make it quiet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sweet =) now i just have to find a used one =P thanks for the info

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL ok so i heard that 250.... it reminds me of a lawn mower =P

but ya i agree i like the sound of that honda cept its kinda hard to tell how loud it is irl cause i can adjust my volume =P but thanks for the links ^.~

·
Registered
456 Posts
You're on the right track, NinjaNewbChick. I love my 250R. It is a great bike. On the street it can do everything a bigger bike can do. It has great looks, and it's cheap. If you ever wreck it, you're not out a lot of money. It also happens to have a lot of get-up-and-go for a small bike, so don't just crank the throttle until you know what you're doing. You can kill yourself on this bike just like any other bike.

Make sure you take the MSF course before you buy the bike. And buy top quality gear, especially the helmet.

If you need to sell your husband on the idea, one way to do it is as a practical transportation issue. Do the two of you have two cars? You could sell one of those and buy the bike. For most people, one of those cars is only used as a commuter, so a bike could easily do that job better and cheaper than a car. Your insurance will be less, the gas will be less, maintenance will be easier, and you'll have a ton of fun in the process. I think it's a smart move. If you only have one car, then owning the bike can keep you from needing another car anytime soon. Just get yourself a good rain suit and ride year-round in sunny San Diego.

My 250 is significantly louder than cars, but a lot quieter than most bikes around here. I have the stock mufflers, and I see no reason to want noise. There are about four other motorcyclists that live in my building, and they are all louder than me.

For insurance, try http://www.geico.com http://www.progressive.com http://www.statefarm.com and your current auto insurance agent. I got a great deal from http://www.bike-line.com but I think you might be too young to get a good deal from them. Most insurance companies offer a discount if you took the MSF course, and you might save enough on insurance to pay for the course for free, or nearly free.
Curt

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
MSF in CA is around $150.00 if under 21 and 198.00 for 21 and over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ya i checked into the course already and the whole reason i want a bike is for commute ^.~ i dont really have to "sell" my husband on the idea cuase he wants one too but right now the only problem is coming up with money for gear and the class cuase like the the total newb i am/was when i thought about a bike i didnt think about all the extra stuff so right now we're back to the saveing stage =P but hopefully it wont take too much longer ^.~ but i was thinking we should have the money for the msf classes in a couple weeks =) so hopefully i can at least get that out of the way =)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sign up as early as you can cause the classes fill up pretty fast in Ca. As riding season slows down - after Oct. you will see the gear and used bike prices come down as well... Food for thought in case you can't make it all happen right away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
oh wow thats a good point... i hadnt thought about that cause of summer time prices are higher... makes since i just didnt think of it... thanks! ^.~

1 - 20 of 23 Posts