Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, I just purchased an 04 kx 125 and as long as you keep it on the pipe its fine but at low speeds or off the line it loads up bad!!!!!! It's almost to the point where it would foul a plug... I am running a BR9EG (ngk) plug but i'm not sure thats the whole problem? I was told that the bike is 100% stock, but someone told me the carb could be out of adjustment or the power valve could clogged or gummed up?? Has anyone else run into this problem?? If so please tell me how to fix this, it runs like crap now and at low speeds it smoaks really bad..... thanks for any help or advice!!! :wink:

·
Registered
741 Posts
The pilot jet controls fuel flow from idle to 1/4 throttle. The needle jet controls from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle, so depending on just where you are having the problem will determine which jet is too fat,assuming that is actually the problem;) You might pull the jet needle out of the carb & see where it is set. Just unscrew the cap on top of the carb & slip the whole assembly out to inspect, being careful not to bend the needle. The stock position is #3 slot. Since there is often some overlap in the throttle positions above and if the needle is in #3 already you might try dropping the needle to #2 slot and test ride. If the needle is in #4 slot from the top, drop it to stock position & test. Then if the problem still occurs,do the above .
If none of that solves the problem pull the pilot jet to see if is stock size or fatter. If fatter buy a stock size & try that. If you have the manual it should give you the stock jet sizes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Where to start?

1. Needle clip position
2. NGK Iridium plug
3. dirty air filter
4. worn piston/rings= compression
5. stuck power valve
6. GET A REPAIR MANUAL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Factory Plug??

Does anyone know what the (ngk) #'s are for the factory plug?? or what others running that is working for them?? any other advise.... thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, i just moved the clip to the #2 spot on the carb needle clip and it still is loading up bad..... any other suggestions before i break the bank and take it to the repair shop???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Choke???

the choke is pushed in?? but could it still be on?? if so how do i adjust it?? please help... also should i move the clip on the needle down to the #1 spot... i've got it on the #2 spot now!!! also what plug should i be running??? thanks!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
snowstormrider! thanks for the reply....

I am running 4oz oil to 1gal of gas. Is this to rich??? Also i will try that plug tomorrow!! I just cleaned the air filter a week ago! I think the oil is CS N2 or something like that (got it from my local dealer) any other thoughts?? where should i set the needle?? thanks for the help!!!! ;)

SNOWSTORMRIDER said:
1. TRY a NGK BR9EIX plug http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NGK-IRIDIUM-SPARK-PLUGS-BR9EIX-4-25-US-SHIPPING-NIB_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43977QQihZ020QQitemZ300021466770QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

2. What kind of oil are you using?
3. What ratio do you mix? 20:1, 32:1, 40:1?

4. Clean your air filter every 4-6 hours of use!

5. What is the compression reading?

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you have a worn piston or rings, the motor will probably run rich. They can wear out in 20 hours of racing to 80 hours of regular use. My son's bike had 132 psi compression and it ran rich.

You can try the clip in the #1 position for a short while. I would use full synthtic mix oil, to help prevent the power valve from getting stuck from carbon buil up.

Check you power valve by removing the rubber boot, starting the bike, warm it up somewhat, and juice the throttle. The power valve should move out when juicing the throttle, and return back in when at idle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
are you refering to the #1 position from the top or bottom of the needle?? also what oil mixture should i run 50:1 40:1 ??? thanks for the help!!! also where is the power valve rubber boot???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
also when i get through riding i turn the gas off and run the excess gas out of the carb, and thats when she starts running the best! right before it runs all of the gas out of the bowl....

·
Registered
252 Posts
from your last comment, running the carb out of fuel is bad for the motor as no fuel means no lube for the piston and bottom end. If it runs best when running out of fuel sounds like the float in the carb is stuck or at the wrong height and the feul hight is way to high and runs really rich. Check the float level and needle/seat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks gaz, where should flot & needle seat be set at??? also should i reset the main needle back to the middle clip position?? should i be running the mix at 50:1, 40:1 or 32:1 for best performance? i live in SC. also the bike is completly stock! thanks...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Start with a compression test

Do the compression test (with throttle open) and let us know what it is.

You can fiddle for hours with all the other variables, and finally realize you need a top end rebuild. Your choice. Search the archives in this forum.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Is it hard to start when cold? From my experience a bike that is hard to start cold and needs to be bump started is due for a rebuild.

·
Registered
11 Posts
you need to check the power valve and see if it is operating properly. make sure that the plug is the right plug for that bike. it sounds like a BR7EG plugwould be better suited for the bike. altitude plays a big role. you need to check the oil level in the crank case and make sure the bike is not burning crank case oil through the crank seals. fuel mixture is very important and type of oil. good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts