Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my boys have a pair of 04-05 kx 65's. Today we were out going around 40mph and the 04 65 rear tire locked up and shut down. It has little compression & will not start. It has been some years since i took these little ones apart and am looking for some help. I think its the top end but not sure. Can someone let me know if i may be right or is it the bottom? Either way its coming apart, but just want to prep the wife on the expense. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
A sudden lock up is indicative of a seized piston. (You were running premix, weren't you?) If you're lucky, it's just a top end seize, which will require a new piston and rings, and possibly either a new cylinder or a rebore and replate, depending on the severity of the seize.

Since cases on a 2-smoker are vertically split, you'll always have to remove the top end to work on the bottom end. And since it's so easy to pull a top end on a 2-stroke, that's the best place to start. If you have a manual, (and you should) you'll be able to check the connecting rod for play and or grittiness to determine whether the bottom end needs rebuilding. If it's been a good hard seize, I'd suggest you disassemble the bottom end anyway and make sure you don't have piston dust down there. It's a real PITA to rebuild a top end, just to have the bottom end let loose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I took it apart today and it definitly looks likee it needs a piston & Rings. The head is scored a little. A couple of questions:

The top of the piston has the letter "B" on it? What does this mean?
How do i tell if it has been rebuilt before? Does B represent the second piston?

The cam has some black on it, does this indicate the bottom has issues?

Thanks again for the help, it has been alot of years since i played with the inners of a two stroke, so thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.