Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '01 KX125 and am looking to get a 250. I ride 80% offroad, 20% MX.
Haven't ridden an '05 yet but the mags. have all pretty much done their reviews. The '05 is supposed to be a better MXer and hit harder which is not bonus on tight trails where traction is king. The 04 was rated as one of the best offroad MXers

Which do you think will be better for offroad riding in nearly stock form?

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Greenhorn,

Welcome to the forum!!!! There are a lot of experienced riders up here, so you should get a reply on your post shortly. Don't have an answer myself, but just wanted to be the first to welcome you. We have a lot of fun up here.

Heather

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome'
Not sure if you're dead-set on a KX, but a KDX220 is something to consider, I had an older 125, and when I jumped on my '05 220, I couldn't believe the power delivery, brute strength in climbs, and easy to manuever on tight trails, yet when you hit the straights and open it up, you'll be grinning into the next turn, I love mine now that I got it set-up. I was considering a new KX250 too, but I also spend the majority of my time off-road and not so much track time, It just didn't make sense to me to ride a racer when I'm hardly getting out of third when I'm in the fun stuff all day, not to mention the KX wouldn't be happy either. You didn't mention the type rider you are, but if you're a younger person leaning more towards the track in the future, than go for the KX, but if you're a slowy deteriorating oldish' guy like me who needs some of that 2-stroke race feel when you're in the mood, yet a great bike to get you through the tight stuff ,than considering the 220 might not be a bad idea.
You also could save yourself a thousand to fifteen hundred dollars and spend it on mods...hoooya!
Oh yeah, the reviews in the mags are good for something, not sure what yet...but nothing compares to talking to "real" people who ride these bikes and have established a history with their machine, good and bad, and not a savvy journalist/or rider who isn't biased by one manufacturer or another. Remember these guys usually get the bike for a day or two, ride it and then have to run back to the laptop and pound out some copy for their deadline...just my opinion. Good Luck.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have both bikes and do trail ride a lot. The 05 is vastly superior in every way. The motor is smoother yet has a lot more low end torque. You can lug the motor through rocks or slippery terrain without a problem. The suspension is also better and smoother. The motor puts out more power everywhere but is much more managable. It's a no brainer the 05 is a fantastic bike even in stock form.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts