Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

04 ninja 250 used $3200... WHY so much?

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  tlwisner 
#1 ·
the classified i found says this

2004 KAWASAKI NINJA, 250, brand new awesome color bike, almost broken in, over $4400 invested, including initial servicing, must sell, starting a business, nice helmet and cargo net included, $3600 obo

now this is a first bike and i know ninjas are good but im missing something right? i mean the kawasaki site lists the bike for 2999, the kelly blue book price is 2599. i know it says best offer but am i missing something as i read this.

#3 ·
just to clarify thats the pic of the bike, and the dude lives only 30 miles from the house if that much, so i can easily go up there and look, im planning on calling him this week but im just trying to figure it out, ive got dealers that have less price.
and ive heard that i shouldnt worry about buying helmets with a bike because i dont know if its gonna fit perfect so i shouldnt count that with the price.

#6 ·
Don't buy his gear or include it in the price of selling the bike as you will want your own stuff. Show him the blue book on it and give him an allowance up if it is in perfect condition as if it left the showroom. The additional money he spent is just that. Unless he put performance enhancements on the bike, he's dreaming (get bluebook and add for pipe or jet kit if thats the performance stuff)

Otherwise - buy new

#7 ·
well i can imagine a bike/car going for a little more than MSRP because it never factors in taxes and crap

i just called 3 dealers and the prices were
3.6k, but we can work with you

all of them told me the price of the bike is 2999, but the taxes and crap added up to those prices

#8 ·
If you buy his overpriced bike----you'll still have to pay the taxes after that.

From the pic--it doesn't look in all that great condition either.

He's just trying to get all his money back----sorry bud---it just doesn't work that way---as you now have a USED bike------and put the crack pipe down while you're at it-----would be my responce.

#9 ·
jokker said:
i just called 3 dealers and the prices were
3.6k, but we can work with you
The MSRP is $2,999, but nobody gets them for that. The best price I've ever heard is $3,400 out the door. Lots of people buy new ones in the $3,600 to $3,900 range. So your seller is dreaming at $3,600obo. But he's not dreaming by much. His helmet is worth zip unless it's a perfect fit for your head. And that net that he brags about cost me $5 at Fleet Farm. The Kelly Blue Book price of $2,599 is for a used one, without taxes. But you'll have a hard time finding that this time of year. Wait four months and try again or get ready to cough up some bucks.

Like OmahaRider said, the pic doesn't look like anything spectacular. He hasn't changed the turn signals or done a fender elimination, so I doubt he's done any performance modifications. He probably has $4,400 in the bike from just the normal stuff: bike (and taxes, fees, etc), helmet, 500 mile service.

If you want this particular bike, just tell the guy you want it, but you don't think it's worth that much. Then call him back a month later and buy it.
Curt

#10 ·
jokker said:
the classified i found says this

2004 KAWASAKI NINJA, 250, brand new awesome color bike, almost broken in, over $4400 invested, including initial servicing, must sell, starting a business, nice helmet and cargo net included, $3600 obo

now this is a first bike and i know ninjas are good but im missing something right? i mean the kawasaki site lists the bike for 2999, the kelly blue book price is 2599. i know it says best offer but am i missing something as i read this.
What did he do to spend $4400 on this bike??

#11 ·
$3,900 out the door price (high, but lots of people pay it)
$400 nice helmet
$300 service at 500 miles
$5 net
$4,605 total
If he includes his insurance and other gear and maintenance items, it's even more. But he's just trying to show that it's worth so much money and you're getting a great deal at $3,600. Wouldn't any seller do that?
Curt

#12 ·
The true cost---max-- on this one ---when NEW---should be.

$2999 Bike
$500 Dealer prep
$150 for a decent helmet
$105 for 500 mile dealer service(all my dealer chaged me for my 600---I seriously doubt a 250 would be any more)

Plus your state taxes and whatever insurance rate they see fit to stick you with.

For his used bike---take $500 minimum off that total----and don't even think about buying his helmet(gross first of all----second---you have no idea if any abuse has been done)

Don't pay a dime more.

#13 ·
well im thinking about looking at some rashed or scratched older ninjas instead, maybe get a nice deal a little project work and something i wont mind moving on from in a year or so if i want to get bigger

i saw some 89 ninja in decent shape for 700 bucks, but its in CA and im in FLA now were i too fly there after taking my MSF class and ride it home that would be sweet. ive seen prices of about 700+ to move a bike coast to coast, so thats 1100+ for a 89 ninja out of pocket to me i dont know if i like that too much.

#14 ·
Curt: not sure what dealers your talking to, but those prices are a little high. The out-the-door price would be hundreds less than $3,900....I've found a couple dealers around here. One was $3,200 and one was $3,000. Add the taxs on and such, and it still won't be close to $3,900. Maybe $3,400.

#15 ·
OmahaRider said:
The true cost---max-- on this one ---when NEW---should be.

$2999 Bike
$500 Dealer prep
$150 for a decent helmet
$105 for 500 mile dealer service(all my dealer chaged me for my 600---I seriously doubt a 250 would be any more)
Find a dealer that doesn't add on all the BS klike Dealer Prep, document fees, etc. If they can't make money by just selling a hike at full MSRP, they can kiss my butt...

An example:

Lee's Kawasaki / Suzuki / Yamaha in Harrodsburg KY states: "We do not charge for other hidden fees like freight, setup, or documentation fees"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.