Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Members,

Bought my Nomad in April 9th 2004. Bike now has 7,982 good time miles on it. Took the Nad to my dealer(10/26/04)for its 7,500 mile service.

The 7,500 mile service is pretty extensive. Main reason is for servicing the Drive Shaft and Swing Arm.

Only problem found was a small pinion seal leak upon drive shaft removal.
Part was replaced under warranty.

Other items serviced were:
Spark Plugs Inspected-Cleaned and Gapped
Oil & Filter Changed-I Switched to Synthetic Oil 10w40 for the Winter
Changed Clutch Oil - Cheap preventive maintenance(not required-recommended by dealer instead of doing every 2yrs since clutch oil is exposed to more engine heat)
Checked Cooling System:No leaks
Changed Rear End Oil
Checked Brakes
Checked,Re-Torqued, and Inspected all other bike components.
Road Tested

Cost for 7,500 mile service with Parts,Taxes, and labor: $358

Getting bike back the same day Priceless :D

Anyone with other service inspection input please post if able.
Any comments or questions always appreciated.

DfgPilot

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i'd say that was textbook checkup-many bikes are showing minor seal
leaks at 7-10k , some go a little longer

that seems to be the worst one can expect out of these big bikes 8)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Change the clutch oil? Where? :?

I made this service in advance myself. This is the only way I can be sure everything was made properly. What was surprising, the rear end gear hubs were really dry. I had to put grease on every one of them. Makes me wonder what this could've done to the teeths after say 40 000 miles.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Strictly VN 1600,

Change the clutch oil? Where?
Sorry, I should have said Hydraulic Clutch Fluid(DOT 4 Brake Fluid)
How early in advance did you do your 7,500 mile service?

DfgPilot

·
Registered
101 Posts
Okay, now I get it :) ..

I made the service before the winter arrived and at that time I had about 6900 miles on it. Not so much in advance but still the rear end screamed for grease (didn't make any noice though when driving).

The brake and clutch fluid (same) were also changed and after a year they sure needed a change. You could see with bare eyes that the fluid had already turned yellow and when I opened the bleed valve, dark fluid with gunk came out after the first lever retractions. I guess this was the fluid that was working on the pistons whole the time. Believe it or not, it sure did make a difference. I might use silicone fluid next fall...spares me from the annual changing and keeps the brake system clean.

My warranty is due next fall and of course, my service isn't performed by a certified mechanic. I think I'll take the chance and won't take it to the dealer for the very same service I did. Of course, if the mechanic only changes the oil and filter, I might reconsider. Last summer I paid $90 for the 6000 km service and all I got was a lousy engine and rear end oil change. Even more, they used Honda premium oil that didn't suit for my engine at all. After 2000 miles that oil is useless. Engine runs much louder and when drained, it has already become thicker due to excessive evaporation (like any premium oil). Shell synthetic into the engine and the engine sounds much quieter even after that 2000 miles. I'd still like to try Amsoil oils. I've heard nothing but good of them. Unfortunately they aren't for sale here... Anybody tried?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts