Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I intend on going to the Darkside. I have done my research and have decided to go with the Dunlop SP 5000 195/60/16. From what I can tell not alot of 1500's have done this yet so I just wanted to make sure I got all my ducks in a row. What do you Darksiders think?

On a side note I have already had the pleasure of explaining myself several times while calling around and checking prices. One guy even tried to lecture me on how MC tires are made differently and blah blah blah. Luckily I spent 3 Hours last night on the Darkside website and forum reading until my eyes hurt. So I sent a little counter lecturing right back at him. You would have thought I been using a car tire for years. In an odd way he made me even more excited to be different and only re-enforced my decision.

Wish me Luck!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well they had to order the tire from another store so I had to wait until tonight to pick it up. I'll try to post some pics tonight. I'll be having it installed on Wednesday at a local custom bike shop. Hopefully I can get some instillation pics.....I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Its a popular tire regardless of the tread pattern, heck, maybe because of it.

If you can, take the old rubber off, clean and polish the safety bead BEFORE trying to put the tire on. Offer to do it yourself if necessary. It will make setting the bead easier.

And if all they have is soapy water, take a tube of KY Jelly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah thats kinda what I was thinking. The tire is about 8 1/2'' wide so it should look pretty cool.

Does anyone know if my back tire will fit on the front? Its a 150/80/16 and looks like it might fit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I took the rear tire off today and thought that maybe I should have looked at gadget's page. Sure enough he had an article on it. Only thing that I am concerned about is I took the axle completely out, he recommends to only pull it half way or "you'll have to line up a spacer in the final drive housing on re-assembly". Is this anything that can be done improperly?

When I take the tire and rim in tomorrow morning should I take the disc off?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Being its a classic you're going to have to run an inner tube right? Did you get a tube the size of your new tire? How does a tube affect seating on the bead with a ct? Is it more difficult? I had tought about going dark but didn't know if it would work with spoked rims?? Keep us posted on how it works out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I have to still use a tube i just need to make sure its for the right size rim. It shouldn't effect the seating process at all. CT are always gonna post more of a problem when it comes to mounting but I think I know all the tricks to helping it out.

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
I also have an 04' 1500 classic and I am interested to see if it works.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I got the tire mounted and put back on my bike yesterday and was able to take it out for a little spin. Overall I really didn't notice much of a difference. When turning it seemed to handle even better then before and with every twist I found myself pushing it harder and harder but couldn't get the tire to slip up. Overall I am very happy with my choice and look forward to putting some serious miles on this tire.

Could someone look at my spacer pic and make sure I put it in facing the right direction. I just want to make sure the diagram that I went off of was correct.

I decided to start with 38psi.

Here are the pics: (Just click on them to make them bigger)

Attachments

·
'01 1500 Classic FI
1,163 Posts
Could someone look at my spacer pic and make sure I put it in facing the right direction. I just want to make sure the diagram that I went off of was correct.
Your spacer is in the right direction. That's what it looks like
on my '01 1500 Classic FI. Did you use same oem tube size
for the new car tire or a larger one?

Am impressed at how well the CT fits your rim. Almost as if it
was made for it. Did you notice whether the tire is a tighter
fit to the swingarm or anything else?

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your spacer is in the right direction. That's what it looks like
on my '01 1500 Classic FI. Did you use same oem tube size
for the new car tire or a larger one?

Am impressed at how well the CT fits your rim. Almost as if it
was made for it. Did you notice whether the tire is a tighter
fit to the swingarm or anything else?

Keep us posted!
Thanks for checking! I figured it was but you can never be to cautious.

Form what I have heard and read you should just use the tube meant for your motorcycle, which seems to be based solely on rim size. The tire shop actually used the same tube that was in the tire. This is not something that I believe in but the metal stem prevented them form putting a new tube in. I would have gone to Kawasaki and bought one but they were nice enough to wait until I came to pick it up to tell me. :mad: I checked the tire pressure both before and after I rode it and their was no change in pressure.

The tire is defiantly closer to the swingarm but not uncomfortably close. I will try to remember to take a pic tonight.

Come to the dark side we have cookies.

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Thanks for checking! I figured it was but you can never be to cautious.

Form what I have heard and read you should just use the tube meant for your motorcycle, which seems to be based solely on rim size. The tire shop actually used the same tube that was in the tire. This is not something that I believe in but the metal stem prevented them form putting a new tube in. I would have gone to Kawasaki and bought one but they were nice enough to wait until I came to pick it up to tell me. :mad: I checked the tire pressure both before and after I rode it and their was no change in pressure.

The tire is defiantly closer to the swingarm but not uncomfortably close. I will try to remember to take a pic tonight.

Come to the dark side we have cookies.
Jason, how about overall dia. of the tires, stock 150/80 16 vrs the new 190/60 16? Speedo still close?
I always heard that it was hard to find a c/t that worked since the fit was pretty snug. Thats why I kinda just forgot about it. Please let me know how it handles in the turns & curves. I am ready to put a new Metzler 880 on the rear in a month or two, and am interested in going over to the dark side if handling is exceptable.
Thanks...
If your old tire was a 150" and this is a 190", it should have a bigger tube. I would also get a new tube in it at bare minimum even if you do keep that same size tube. Here in ND the dealerships must use a new tube for liability purposes when changing tires.

·
USAF
312 Posts
Congrats, looks real good. I was thinking about doing this, but unfortunately, I just don't put enough miles on the bike a year to warrant the ct. And considering it hasn't been put up here yet, "You'll Bust Your A$$" lol.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jason, how about overall dia. of the tires, stock 150/80 16 vrs the new 190/60 16? Speedo still close?
I always heard that it was hard to find a c/t that worked since the fit was pretty snug. Thats why I kinda just forgot about it. Please let me know how it handles in the turns & curves. I am ready to put a new Metzler 880 on the rear in a month or two, and am interested in going over to the dark side if handling is exceptable.
Thanks...
If your old tire was a 150" and this is a 190", it should have a bigger tube. I would also get a new tube in it at bare minimum even if you do keep that same size tube. Here in ND the dealerships must use a new tube for liability purposes when changing tires.
''Section Width

195/60/R16

The 195 indicates this tire is 195 millimeters across from the widest point of its outer sidewall to the widest point of its inner sidewall when mounted and measured on a specified width wheel. This measurement is also referred to as the tire's section width. Because many people think of measurements in inches, the 195mm can be converted to inches by dividing the section width in millimeters by 25.4 (the number of millimeters per inch).

195mm / 25.4 =7.68

Sidewall Aspect Ratio

Typically following the three digits identifying the tire's Section Width in millimeters is a two-digit number that identifies the tire's profile or aspect ratio.

195/60/R16

The 60 indicates that this tire size's sidewall height (from rim to tread) is 60% of its section width. The measurement is the tire's section height, and also referred to as the tire's series, profile or aspect ratio. The higher the number, the taller the sidewall; the lower the number, the lower the sidewall. We know that this tire size's section width is 195mm and that its section height is 60% of 195mm. By converting the 195mm to inches (195 / 25.4 = 7.68") and multiplying it by 60% (.60) we confirm that this tire size results in a tire section height of 4.61.'' Reference

So with sticking to the formula you can see that their is very little difference between tires.

Original tire 155/80/16 (All they had was 155 to select.)
Sidewall: 4.88 in
Radius: 12.88 in
Diameter: 25.76 in
Circumf: 80.94 in
Revs/mile: 782.81

New Tire 195/60/16
Sidewall: 4.61 in
Radius: 12.61 in
Diameter: 25.21 in
Circumf: 79.21 in
Revs/mile: 799.92

Tire Size Calculator

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do understand where your coming for with wanting to replace the tube anyways. This is something that I will probably do in the near future.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
This weekend I intend on going to the Darkside. I have done my research and have decided to go with the Dunlop SP 5000 195/60/16. From what I can tell not alot of 1500's have done this yet so I just wanted to make sure I got all my ducks in a row. What do you Darksiders think?

On a side note I have already had the pleasure of explaining myself several times while calling around and checking prices. One guy even tried to lecture me on how MC tires are made differently and blah blah blah. Luckily I spent 3 Hours last night on the Darkside website and forum reading until my eyes hurt. So I sent a little counter lecturing right back at him. You would have thought I been using a car tire for years. In an odd way he made me even more excited to be different and only re-enforced my decision.

Wish me Luck!
Wow, this is something I REALLY want to do my 2003 Vulcan 1500 when my rear Metzler wears out. At the beginning you were using 38psi, are you still riding it with that amount of air ? What are the pros and cons that you have found about the ct since your first post. How about your insurance company....do they still insure you with the car tire, do they know you have replaced your mc tire for a ct ? Please continue posting on your findings, I find this quite interesting. What was the main reason(s) you decided to switch from mc to ct ?
Thanks in advance for any info. I'm bookmarking this thread. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts