Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all-

I am shopping for bags and a windshield for my 1500 Classic. Normally, I keep this bike pretty stripped down. solo seat, etc. I'd like to keep the touring stuff as convertible as possible.
After hitting a crow with my face and struggling to fit everything in a tour pack I am looking for a little more protection and some additional luggage capacity for long trips.
My concern is that I have seen the looks of so many bikes ruined by adding unattractive bags, windshields and what not.
Anyone own Tsukayu bags or LeatherLyke bags? If so, how do they look and how are they holding up?
I'd like a slim and smoke colored windshield, also convertible.
Anyone add tint to a clear windshield?
I would love to see some pics of other 1500 Classics tastefully equipped with bags and windshields.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
We have the leatherlykes on both our 1500 and 1600. The ones on the 1500 are on their 3rd season and are still in perfect condition.

The matching tour trunk is due to arrive sometime today!

IMO the switchblade shield is the best one, but they don't make it for the 1500. We have a shorter fire and steel shield on the 1500. It's not quick release but would literally take 5 mins to take off if we wanted to.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DanL - I like the LeatherLyke contemporaries for my bike since I don't have the studded seat.
That windshield looks just about right. I'll have to look into those.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I second the leatherlykes. They pop off in a second!
Mine are 4 years old and holding up just fine.

·
Into the Wind
676 Posts
Let's hear it for the Leatherlykes. Great bags. They are well worth the investment!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Thanks DanL - I like the LeatherLyke contemporaries for my bike since I don't have the studded seat.
That windshield looks just about right. I'll have to look into those.
I have the contemporaries on my 1600. I'm not a studs and conchos guy, but my wife likes them on her bike.

We got the trunk yesterday, it's nice. I will have to remove her sissy bar to use it though, because of how it angles back. There isn't enough room on the luggage rack to make it stable otherwise. It won't be that bad, 4 bolts to remove the sissy bar and put the trunk on for when she needs it on longer trips.

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is cheap. I wonder about the quality at that price. Might want to research for testimonials elsewhere.
I believe you would want a rack with that or if you are riding solo you could set it on the passenger seat, if you have one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ha once again I can reply. I have link #2.
Its not leather....
But its big and holds a lot of gear!
Best 60 bucks I ever spent:biggrin:
I got it on sale last year.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Apparently Fire and Steel no longer make the short windshield for some reason. I definitely want something I am looking over and not through. Not sure if that can be done without a lot of turbulents to my head.
Last time I had a motorcycle with a windshield was in the early 90's. It was handlebar mounted and I hated it.
I want fork mounted, low height, tinted. Possibly lowers as well.

I went to a Harley / Metric open house this weekend. Many bikes with windshields but not much that looked good except for a couple of propreitary Yamaha windshields that come on certain models.

·
Lets Ride!
442 Posts
If you can get mounts, Cee Baileys will cut you a custom shield for a good price. They even do tints, so you can look stylin'!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have on a Memphis Shades-- Fats, and only a 17" (I'm 5'8") so that I can see over the top (barely). [They have 19" & 21" sizes too.] I have it in clear with clear lowers, but they had all sorts of tints. The W/S is fork mounted, and adjustable for height and angle, and does a pretty good job of keeping the wind off me. Can't say that I don't get some buffeting though.

One of the things I really wanted when I went from my 94 Vulcan 500 to the 08 Vulcan 1500 was a set of bags. I have the River Road bags. I originally had the Synthetic Leather, Zipoff Quick Release Compact Slant Large Saddlebags. But I had problems in that the straps were cracking in <6 months. River Road replaced them last year, since it was within the warranty period. I now have the Windswept Lg. I think the Compact Slant's looked better on the bike, but I have not had a problem with the straps on the Windswept's......yet. The Windswept's are also zip off and quick release.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts