Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put in New carbin fiber Barnet clutch n clutch plate. but forgot to wipe oil off of plates is this a big deal. or should I go back in
wipe them off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Put in New carbin fiber Barnet clutch n clutch plate. but forgot to wipe oil off of plates is this a big deal. or should I go back in
wipe them off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The clutch runs in oil - you are supposed to soak the fiber plates in JASO rated engine oil over night before installation, but few mechanics actually do it - I install the plates dry, fill the engine with the oil I intend to keep in it (usually JASO 10w40 or 20w50 mineral oil - I'm not sold on synthetic oil yet) - I tie the clutch lever back to hold it in release, start the engine to circulate the oil and let it sit overnight so the clutch plates have a chance to absorb oil - next day I release the clutch lever and ride normally.

Personally; I don't like a Barnett clutch for street use - they tend to stick a bit after setting over night. I have one in a Triumph and have learned to hold the clutch in while warming the engine before riding and then to click the transmission into 2nd gear instead of 1st to get the plates to break loose without killing the engine or an alternate method is to push the bike to a running speed, jump on and click the transmission into 1st gear while holding the clutch in - I just ride a short distance with the clutch in release until it breaks loose and it's fine again until it sets overnight. The Barnett clutch is bullet proof and great for racing, but it's a bit of overkill on a street bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The clutch runs in oil - you are supposed to soak the fiber plates in JASO rated engine oil over night before installation, but few mechanics actually do it - I install the plates dry, fill the engine with the oil I intend to keep in it (usually JASO 10w40 or 20w50 mineral oil - I'm not sold on synthetic oil yet) - I tie the clutch lever back to hold it in release, start the engine to circulate the oil and let it sit overnight so the clutch plates have a chance to absorb oil - next day I release the clutch lever and ride normally.

Personally; I don't like a Barnett clutch for street use - they tend to stick a bit after setting over night. I have one in a Triumph and have learned to hold the clutch in while warming the engine before riding and then to click the transmission into 2nd gear instead of 1st to get the plates to break loose without killing the engine or an alternate method is to push the bike to a running speed, jump on and click the transmission into 1st gear while holding the clutch in - I just ride a short distance with the clutch in release until it breaks loose and it's fine again until it sets overnight. The Barnett clutch is bullet proof and great for racing, but it's a bit of overkill on a street bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts