Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brute shows the indicators for 2wd/4wd flashing after riding for a while....turn machine off seeems to reset itself for a bit the same issue. The machine it operating normally in 2 or 4 just the annoying light. Actuators seem fine and ebs actuator still maes all the normal noise. All coonections, plugs, bus connectors and fuses clean, greased and sealed.....just a momentary open in the actuator???? anyone have any insight i would appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
It is likely you have not had the first critical dealer service completed and the system reset. That triggers the lights to let you know so you do not run with misadjusted valves or clutches and create engine damage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh really had no idea that never occured to me.....i bought it used and the original owner says it has been doin this for a while but no change in machine operation so he never worried about it....my dealer mech said if she works fine don't worry about it. If the actuator was failing, surely after this long it would have totally failed by now and all seems fine. Thanks for the advise .

·
Registered
344 Posts
I made some posts regarding my 05 doing the same thing. According to the manual the rate that the flashing occurs determines if there is a problem with the front 4wd actuator or the engine brake actuator. I followed the service manual trouble shooting section and, in short found nothing wrong. What seemed to fix it, so far, was removing the belt cover and cleaning the engine brake mech and at the same time you can inspect the belt, etc. Belt dust gets in and around the area. Originally I called the dealer I got it from and the mech told me to replace the engine brake actuator motor which was about $180 if I remember correctly. I had more faith in Kaw parts than that and with more time (retired) than money, I tore it apart and cleaned and lubed it, (lightly of course). So far so good. Also, I think I read somewhere that, maybe here, not to rely heavily on the engine brake actuator for breaking. In other words, let say you are hauling a load of green cherry firewood(like I do) that weighs twice the BF 750's weight, down a grade, don't depend on the engine break to the point that the rear wheels lock USE the front brake and go slow. That engine brake is good but it's not meant to take the place of real brakes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Roofgunner and RCW for the tips. Roofgunner, my belt guard and ebs mechanism is rediculously clean. This issue is really boggling me more than concerning me i guess you'd say. No problems due to the flashing but mechanical knowledge would lead me to believe there should be an explanation...should. From what i have been reading this is a common problemwith some claiming no known fix...i will keep trying but any help is much appreciated. By the way noticed my brute(just got it a week ago) has a rather low belt guard snorkel...any issues taking in water cuz i like to go in up to the seat!

·
Registered
344 Posts
As far as the snorkel is concerned, that's over my head. I suppose one of the young'uns on here would know and one place or another I've seen over size snorkels that extend or something. They made stuff like that for our Army jeeps, HUM-VEES and the like. SCUBA gear for ATV's I'd call it. The only other thing I can say about the flashing lights, assuming all else is OK, is the connection issue. When I checked my 750 out I isolated (disconnected) all the components for testing and examined the connections. I didn't find any corrosion but that doesn't mean there wasn't a bad connection. I learned from inmates (I worked 20 years at a CA state prison and had a collector car restored, etc.) about the electronic/computer parts, etc. as they had an ASE school there, that connection failure or intermittent failure (a trouble code is thrown and the famous (infamous?) engine check light comes on) (yours and mine 4wd flashing). So, all it takes is for something like that to happen and lights flash. So, you might encourage things like this to happen by taking the machine in water and this is why Kaw doesn't not recommend using pressure washers on bikes and ATV. If taking a machine in water isn't bad enough, forcing it in under pressure is worse. The connections Kaw uses are really good but they can only stand so much. When I had mine apart I used some copper grease on the connections before I put them back together.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Roofgunner......i will keep plugging away at connections. I have yet to take it into water and from what i can see the original owner never let it see rain....every connection i take apart is like new....dry and clean but i am goin one by one and checkin. My dealer said it may be an open spot in the actuatos which wouldlead to the computer losing connection for even a fraction of a second and therfore throwing a code. Makes sense because if i restart the machine its back to normal for some time again and if the actuator was failing or faulty it would be done by now with no temporary ok like when i restart it and it reboots it. He also said which may help some other fellas with this problem that somme times he can't find the cause anywhere so they replace the actuator that was working fine with a new one, the lights flashing sometimes stop but they don't always. He says the actuators can do this and still be fine, no sense throwing away $400.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RCW, the system reset at the first dealer service....how do the reset it can i do it withut takin it in...the original owner had taken it to the dealer and the sent him home with the green light after it was new....

·
Registered
344 Posts
I remember calling the dealer (who's friend of mine) about the flashing 2wd/4wd indicators and they suggested replacing the whole brake actuator motor but I'm stubborn when it comes to spending $$. So I would tend to agree with what your dealer told you. It's like the ghost codes that can occur in cars with the infamous "engine check lights" I remember, after installing spark plugs in my 01
Tacoma 3.4 liter and I didn't tighten a ground wire on the up left part of the intake manifold. The truck through a code (?) and while in the parking lot at Lowes I immediately thought what did I take apart. I found it right away, got home tightened it and the engine code went away. I never did check the car chip I had (or didn't have connected) as to what code it through. I would be interesting to see what the electronic gurus would say about the lights on the BF750.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree it just bothers me to have a code at all i am a perfectionist and a stickler for maintence....but at the same time i won't waste money on a part that isn't broken simply to shut off a light.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seemed to fix the problem...4x4 control box under seat are troublesom, got new one on warranty(still cover even after 4 years) as they are such a problem. So far so good....will keep you updated for others who have this problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts