Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, great site here. Thank you to all who contributed.
I recently got back into riding after a long time out, (ie: school, career,disasterous relationships etc.) A few Saturday mornings ago I was on my way to the job-site when I decided to "take a peek" at the new line of 05's in the local Kawi dealer. Long story short, after a half hour of browsing I was soon picking out new riding gear while they finished the paperwork on my new kdx220r...(I was an easy sell, the site of all that new rubber and plastic was intoxicating)
I purchased my new bike before reading all the debates over the new four strokes out there now and for me it had to be a two stroke if it was going in the dirt...right?..hmm. Word of advice to anyone just starting out, or getting back into this...If you are like me and of moderate size and in your mid-thirties, you may lack some of the physical endurance and strength to handle these new rides right out of the crate (a real ego deflator I know)...I was quickly reminded how much stronger I was in my teens and early twenties my first time out with the new 220...my first reaction simply being "Holy (expletive)!" The low-end torque on these new models is really nice. However after a long day out, and one cracked rear fender later from looping the bike at the top of a steep climb, the thrill came back and I'm happily hooked again. There's just something very rewarding about being tired and dirty after a long day of riding that you don't get from anything else. I also wanted to ask any other 2-storke riders how often you dump the oil, I ride moderately right now, nothing too aggressive and was told after every 4-6 hrs of seat time you should change it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can totally relate, I bought a 04 KX125 in September. Back in the 80's I had a 82 and a 87 KX125, sold it in 89 and hadnt rode since. Then when I took 04 125 out and that power band kicked in I was like maybe I should have got a 100. But now Ive got about 30hrs on it and I love it.

Anyways its nice to see someone have the same reaction as myself. BTW I have been changing my oil about every 6hrs or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hope to be in the same boat soon :mrgreen:
I last rode 20yrs ago when I was 13 (RM80)
I'm looking at a KDX220 to start off with (and keep long term hopefully, I'd like to buy "once" )
...I fully expect to scare the H. E. double hockey sticks outta myself :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's cool Loop!....just practice good body positioning and throttle control before going bawlzzzz out on it...start off on some moderate terrain and don't be like me and play "Hey, I used to do be able to do [email protected]$%!#...oh boy, that's gonna bruise".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cool:)
Ya, I don't expect any MAJOR mishaps in my learning curve.
I'm coming from some current DH MTB experience. Of course it's not exactly the same as MX...but with my MTB'ing, I progressed up to the upper levels at a good pace without major incident.
Be calculated, be sane....push the envelope when it's sorta safe to do so and you/I will progress in one piece:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts