Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Kawasaki Mean Streak that seems to have an overheating problem. Generally new to riding and not much of a mechanic, although quick to learn. Want to know if there are any known problems with overheating with mean streaks or if there are any quick fixes or how to's on how to correct the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I ride, even at night when its cold outside, my coolant fills up and starts to spill. Also the high heat coming from the engine is more than normal.

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
When I ride, even at night when its cold outside, my coolant fills up and starts to spill. Also the high heat coming from the engine is more than normal.
You've only got a few variables to deal with here.

1. Cooling fan (doubtful in very cold weather)
2. Thermostat
3. Water Pump (most likely would be leaking at the pump if this is the case)
4. Radiator cap which is under the tank. Faulty radiator cap will keep the system from pressurizing properly and the coolant will boil excessive amounts out past the cap seal and into the recovery (overflow) tank. If the system is not pressurized properly the coolant cannot do it's job.

I'd try the cap first since it's most likely the cheapest route and probably the culprit if your overflow tank is boiling over. After that, it's most likely the thermostat.

·
V 2win
444 Posts
You've only got a few variables to deal with here.

1. Cooling fan (doubtful in very cold weather)
2. Thermostat
3. Water Pump (most likely would be leaking at the pump if this is the case)
4. Radiator cap which is under the tank. Faulty radiator cap will keep the system from pressurizing properly and the coolant will boil excessive amounts out past the cap seal and into the recovery (overflow) tank. If the system is not pressurized properly the coolant cannot do it's job.

I'd try the cap first since it's most likely the cheapest route and probably the culprit if your overflow tank is boiling over. After that, it's most likely the thermostat.
I would think its the thermostat

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Quick check for thermostat: Engine is hot, radiator does not get hot until it boils. Also if it is the thermostat, it will usually boil fairly quick. Also, temp light nor fan come on until it actually starts to boil.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I have a 2006 Kawasaki Mean Streak that seems to have an overheating problem. Generally new to riding and not much of a mechanic, although quick to learn. Want to know if there are any known problems with overheating with mean streaks or if there are any quick fixes or how to's on how to correct the issue.
Is your fan kicking on? If you're shutting the bike off after a decent amount of riding and the coolant is spilling yet the fan is not blowing (its loud, you would know if it was on), I'd start with that first.

If you're not sure about the fan:

1. Let the bike sit and idle awhile...quite awhile or go for a nice ride and when you get home let the bike idle for a bit rather than shutting it off immediately. No fan? Next step.

2. Make sure the fan is spinning freely. It isn't unknown for a bit of road tar or other gunk to find its way through the screen and keep the blades from turning. Just (carefully, don't punch the radiator) slip a slim screwdriver through the screen and give the blades a little push. The fan spins? Go to step 3

3. Check the fuse. This is a 10 amp (red) fuse under the right side cover of your bike. Inside the fuse box lid is a guide to which fuse protects which circuit. Pop the possible offender out and take a close look. If you have one, use a multi tester or a 12 volt test light on the fuse to be sure there is continuity. More than one ace mechanic has looked at a fuse, deemed it good then moved into other areas needlessly. If the fuse is bad replace it. If the bike is under warranty be sure and have the service manager at your favorite shop make note of the problem so there's a history. They may even suggest popping a 15 amp fuse into the box. This isn't likely to cause any damage and it's become 'the' fix of choice for the Vulcan 1600 but if everything is working as it's supposed to, shouldn't be necessary.

4. So the fuse was good, coolant level was correct and the fan spins freely. Well now it's time to put the mechanics gloves on. Ready?

Go HERE

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
Is the resevoir empty, correct level or overfilled? Check it with the bike cold.
Is the fan running when it's puking fluid?
Does the engine temp lite turn on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your input. Haven't had the time until today to actually take a look at it and try some of the things you all suggested.

The reservoir is at the correct level, but fills up withing 5-10 minutes of riding. It doesn't start puking until about 30 minutes. The fan seems to be working properly, stays on when the bike turns off. And i have yet to see an engine temp light, even when i go for a while and it gets really hot.

I have yet to check some of the components that was mentioned ie: the temperature test with the engine and radiator. Mostly due to my lack of knowledge with what is located where. i think im going to start with the radiator cap and go from there. just need to find it lol

ill keep yall posted on my progress, if you have any more input please let me know, any/all input is much appreciated.

thanks again for all the help

-Travis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts