Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 06 ninja 250, 9500 miles, today, guy road it around, as did my friend, and it was running great. Got it home, and now im having some issues. When i start the bike, it rev's up fine and everything, and will idle for like 10 seconds or so, it varies, but then the engine starts to putt and die's out. It then proceeds to start back up perfectly fine, and do the same thing again. I had it idiling in Neutral for a couple minutes at one point, but when i got on the bike and tilted it to riding position, it cut out. I know little to nothing about bikes, as this is my first, any help would be appreciated.

·
Banned
3,180 Posts
It sounds like something is restricting your gas flow. Check the vacuum lines from the tank and lines coming off of the petcock. You may also check to see if the problem happens with the gas tank cap open.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
Now how would i go about fixing this problem then? Also, now it runs fine in idle forever, but when i give it gas, it cuts it. Same deal with when i tilt the bike, sputters and dies.
That's a symptom of a stuck float. It's not moving up and down with the level of the gas, so the flow going in isn't matching the flow exiting the bowl. When you gas it, the bowl empties, but starts to fill when you let back off. The problem is, I don't think it's filling all the way.

Some Seafoam might do the job, but you really ought to get in there an clean the carb out. You could very well have mold in there.

Now, it's also possible you have a blockage in the petcock, which would restrict the flow to the carb. The carb is expecting gas it isn't getting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's a symptom of a stuck float. It's not moving up and down with the level of the gas, so the flow going in isn't matching the flow exiting the bowl. When you gas it, the bowl empties, but starts to fill when you let back off. The problem is, I don't think it's filling all the way.

Some Seafoam might do the job, but you really ought to get in there an clean the carb out. You could very well have mold in there.

Now, it's also possible you have a blockage in the petcock, which would restrict the flow to the carb. The carb is expecting gas it isn't getting.
Hello I am new to the forum world and lost when it comes to technology but occastionally a forum answer has helped me fix one of the many nuances my classic 200 has gone out of way to challenge my patience with. Computers just lose me.

Imminentend, I'm not sure I agree it's a stuck float. You have two carbs so unless both are stuck, it might run poorly but probably not die.

You really need to find a friend who loves wrenching who can hear/touch the bike. :) Barring that, it's new enough a dealer or a shop specializing in bikes may be able to help. There are a lot of possibilities that could be narrowed quickly on sight and they live in the realm of both electrical or mechnical

It ran at one point (upright, moble)
It idled at first for a short time but died when put upright
Now it idles "forever" but when given gas sputters or dies. Does that mean it idled upright now?
When you say dies when you tilt it and it sputters and dies, does that mean when you tilt off of center or dies when you upright it?
Has anything been done since it was running fine?

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
You have two carbs so unless both are stuck, it might run poorly but probably not die.
Possibly, but if one is stuck and the other is a bit gummed up - which is likely, since one won't get completely stuck with the other being clean - then one carb not providing enough fuel could result in the bike stalling since the other one already isn't running optimally.

However, like I said in my other post, a blockage in the petcock would also be a potential culprit - it just occurs less often than a gummed up carb. On the other hand, the fact that tilting the bike affects it may point to a blockage that only occurs at a certain angle - like a piece of crud covering the petcock or something in the screen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Imminentend, your problem sounds quirky and although carburator issues can vary and cause all kinds of issues, it may not be as simple as a carb gummed up especially since you state the bike was running fine when your friend rode it, and it seems like you soon after got it home and now there are suddenly issues. A blockage or gumming could be the issue and it just so happened to kick in now but one should be hesitant, based on the information you've provided, to be able to pinpoint an absolute solution without understanding more about the various symptoms.

If, as CT Rider suggests, the carbs are gummed, you really need to take them apart and clean them out. A manual should help you with this process. Or do you have a friend who could drain the carbs out and look at what comes out from the bowl? Clean the petcock as long as it's all apart.

However, before doing all that, here's some more questions that may help to narrow down or eliminate some possibilities or may even lead to a different direction which could help if you're going to try to do it yourself or take it somewhere.

How long was it between when your friends rode your bike and it ran fine to when you couldn't get it to run correctly?

When you set the bike up from leaned over, do you put the kickstand up or not?

You seem to be describing two different "tilting" scenarios. The first one it was idling presumably on the side stand then died when brought upright. The second time where it idled forever and you say it sputters and dies when you tilt it, do you mean it was upright and now it dies when you tilt it onto the sidestand? Or are both issues having to do with uprighting it?

When you say sputters, does it slowly peter out (such as the RPMs drop slowly until it stalls) or does it do a quick pop pop and out?

If you're sitting on it upright, can you start it up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually just bought a250 ninga also I drove it to work once it ran great until mile 4 or 5 it spudderd out so I sat for 5 minute choked it and it started right up and on way home same thing ran great but pererd out so I had to wait ten minutes choke it and it ran ok but I need to figure it out so I can enjoy it like discussion starter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts