Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wifes 250 ninja would start with the choke on and die when you turned off the choke or gave it gas. Since this seems to be a common issue I removed the carbs. They looked very clean but every post I've seen says CLEAN THE CARBS. Removed the float bowls and the main jets cleaned thoroughly. Turned upside down and filled the top with cleaner, shook slightly and dumped, first time it came out with a green tint to it, next time less green more yellow. So not knowing what I was getting mysflf into I removed the cover of the vacuum piston. So now that I have cleaned it.... how do I get the rubber to stay in the groove long enough to put the cover back on?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
My trick is to use Grease applied with a small paint brush into the groove that the lip of the diaphragm sits in, You don't need much just enough to get the lip to stay in the groove, Pop the top on gently and Bobs ya Uncle (Or not)

I use Silkolene Pro RG2 (Mainly cause i use it on most things requiring embrication !!) but any Grese should do the trick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So......I found another post in a different thread. I put the piston and is rubber gasket in the fridge proped up to maintain shape....it shrunk after and hour or so. Took it out applied some grease with a paint brush and as you said...Bob is now my uncle! Thanks for the assist, got all put back together and fired up. Bike started fine and no more dieing when throttled up but she idles LIKE CRAP now. Adjusted the idle knob but still at idle revs up and down at will...rides good though. Any suggestions on the idle business??

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
First thought was carbs still dirty especially the idle jets or not assembled correctly but when you said it idles up & down that's usually inherant of an air leak.

Make sure the carbs are seated all the way home in the carb to cylinder head rubbers.

I have come across over adjusted throttle cables causing similar problems as the throttle return doesn't quite make the stop every time causing the motor to hunt (Up & Down).

Are "we" sure there back together ok ??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.