Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know if people out there have had success with the higher mounted Frame Sliders on a ZZR600. I'm a new rider and really don't want to cut a lower mounted slider hole (since there is already a hole about 3 inches about this). I won't be racing the bike, just simple in traffic/road riding so I dont need anything racing quality.

So heres the different versions as I see them for my bike:

- High Mount Sliders (these look like normal sliders and mount higher on the fairing where the puck ones would go). I think some might still require redrilling this hole which I dont like because its a brand new bike. They mount to a lil lip that is welded to the frame (this appears pretty sturdy).

- Low mount Sliders (these mount lower, require moving the overflow bottle and mount to the engine mount?) Personally I dont like drilling a hole right below a hole that is already there for the puck sliders. Do these offer much better protection for simple riding? Remember I won't be doing any serious speed on the bike or track riding.

Thanks for any advice you can give. Luckily it's raining and I'm not riding as I'm afraid I'll drop it since I can't make a **** decision on which sliders to buy...

Thanks guys!

·
rain is here
2,793 Posts
the higher mounting sliders have a tiny screw in order to fit the hole. This means that in the event of a crash or a tip over the screw might break causing the puck to fall off and not protect, and the screw to be in the thread in the frame. this will be extremely annoying , and also costly if you have someone else do it for you.

The best and safest way it unfortunately to drill through the bodywork. also through the coolant tank, the patch it (I would suggest you let a mechanic do this unless you are mechanically inclined), then install the sliders to the thicker bolt also on the frame.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it purely an issue with the bolt size? Id be willing to redrill the hole larger and mount higher. And replace the bolt with the highest strength bolt out there. Do they make titanium bolts?

·
'07 ZZR600
2,363 Posts
Is it purely an issue with the bolt size? Id be willing to redrill the hole larger and mount higher. And replace the bolt with the highest strength bolt out there. Do they make titanium bolts?
yes "they" do, but titanium's advantage is weight... if you're looking for strong bolts, look through ARP's catalog.

·
rain is here
2,793 Posts
think twice about making modifications to your frame... I would.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
the higher mounting sliders have a tiny screw in order to fit the hole. This means that in the event of a crash or a tip over the screw might break causing the puck to fall off and not protect, and the screw to be in the thread in the frame. this will be extremely annoying , and also costly if you have someone else do it for you.

The best and safest way it unfortunately to drill through the bodywork. also through the coolant tank, the patch it (I would suggest you let a mechanic do this unless you are mechanically inclined), then install the sliders to the thicker bolt also on the frame.
I crashed with the higher ones.... they didnt do Crap! had to replace everything anyways.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts

+1...Some frame sliders are so cosmetic...R&G Sliders are very good...But you need to drill.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Weak so I couldn't do it... couldn't drill a hole in the fairing just yet. So I went with these no cut ones because at least they are long and not the short "nubby" ones.

Pro Impact Frame Sliders NO-CUT for ZX6R 98-02 :: Frame Sliders & Bar Ends :: Solo Moto Parts

Problem is I just got them and the product picture is wrong! They were exactly what I didn't want - short nubby ones (mushroom shaped). Now I got to send them back and maybe try these ones?

Pro-Tek Delrin Frame Sliders for ZX600 ZX-6R 98-04 :: Frame Sliders & Bar Ends :: Solo Moto Parts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts