Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SKIPSTER
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking to see if anybody has had their bike just shut off while going done the road. Sometimes it will start right back up, other times it just cranks away with out starting. Or if I go to start it in the AM to go to work, sometimes it starts and other times it won't. I have tested everything by the book, I.ve had it back to the dealer, but as Murphy's law goes, no problems while they have it. The FI light doesn't come on, there are no codes in the ECU. My feeling and the dealers also, is it is possibly either the crank sensor or the ECU. (when it doesn't start, it has no spark) I'm just not a fan of throwing parts at something to see if it fixes the problem...anybody else have any thoughts or experienced this problem ??

·
SKIPSTER
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is not under warranty. The fuel pump is working fine. Kawasaki recommened that I leave it with the dealer for a week or two. I've gone a 300 mile ride recently with out a problem....but again this morning, no start, had to take the car...

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,487 Posts
It's an 08, already having issues, and just out of warranty. Dude that sucks.

Let me clarify your problem… You turn the key, hear the fuel pump do its thing, hit the button, and the motor turns over but does not fire… this happens intermittently… right? First I have heard of this issue.

Might be as simple as a bad electrical connection (which can also be the hardest to find), or a bad sensor, or the ECU, or you aren’t holding your tongue right when you hit the button. You can read the codes from the ECU. It might give you a clue where to start.

These computer controlled bikes (and cars) require some special tools and special talents to actually diagnose and find what real problem is versus just replacing parts. If you have no spark but fuel is flowing then you have it narrowed down by 50%. It depends on your mechanical ability (and of course time), but you can replace parts just as well as the dealer techs can. Get a shop manual, go through the trouble shooting, ignition, and fuel system sections plus the wiring diagrams (lots of good information about what is connected to what). Make an educated guess based on symptoms and codes from the computer. Even if you replace the whole ignition system before you find the bad part you still might come out ahead versus letting the dealer do the same.

There have been some used ignition units and ECUs for the 900 cheep on EBay recently. You might be able to contact one of the sellers and see if you can get most or even all of the ignition components from a wrecked bike.

Or you can take it to the dealer and let them deal with it and just pay the bill.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
My experience with computer controlled engines in this scenario----you are going to have to just start testing/replacing parts. Without it throwing a code, and the issue being intermittent, there really isn't a good way to narrow it down. It could be as "simple" as a chafed wire or a corroded connection, but that will be very hard to find.

Pretty much the entire ignition system can be suspect. I would start with the most likely culprit. If there is a way to test that item (resistance, etc.) test it, if not replace it. Then move to the next item if that doesn't fix the issue. Not a happy scenario.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Before getting out the shotgun which is usually followed by a giant sucking sound coming from your wallet, try this:
1. Gain access to the ECU and the junction box.
2. With the bike running, take the butt end of a screwdriver and tap on the ECU and its connectors. The tug on and wiggle the harness that goes into the ECU.
3. Do the same with the junction box.
4. If no success, try tugging and wiggling the harness that goes to the pick-up coils.
5. Wiggle and tug harness that goes to the key and handlebar switches.
6. Tap on the key and handlebar switches with the screwdriver, including clutch switch.
7. Tap on coils and tug/wiggle on the coil wires.

Good luck and post back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had my 900 SE shut off twice on me just cruising down the road. My problem was the sensor or what ever mechanism senses the kickstand. even though it was up it thought it was put down and shut off the bike it would start right back up once I was stopped.

·
SKIPSTER
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do have the service book, and have followed the trouble shooting charts, I have tested the sensors, I have checked continuity through each of the wires in the harness looking for shorts, I have removed the pins from the harness connectors to make sure they were locked into place. I have watched my dealer go through the steps to check for codes. I have been involved with a confrence call between my dealer and Kawasaki service.
Kawasaki service recommened that I leave the bike with the dealer for as long as it takes to find the problem....not sure just how much that would cost...I'll keep posting updates

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
This is an intermittent problem that is swinging from "perfect running order to catastrohpic failure" and not leaving a trail of clues in it's wake (I think). The manual flow charts stink for a fault such as this and trying to find it, while sitting on the dealer shop floor, with a multimeter...well good luck! It is going to require a more aggressive troubleshooting technique to locate this problem. I hope they realize this. What you do not want is for it to kick around the shop floor, them pointing a shotgun at it, getting nowhere and doing damage at the same time.
You should take one more shot at it before turning it over to the dealer, especially if it is going to cost you cash!

Good luck and post back with how you make out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My 06 900 had this problem frequently when it was new. It would start fine take off maybe 1/4 mile down the road start missing and die.Sometimes it would start back easily sometimes had to turn the key off and start over. The problem went away when I took it in for the ECU recall. I would say check ECU or conections associated with ECU.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.