Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread Pippi250 asked the question...
I like the dual sport bikes, they seem to be the all around most functional bike for your money. The 08 KLR are nice too. I wonder how the two compare?
I just traded in an '08 KLR for my new '08 Versys so I thought I would anwer it to the best of my ability for him.

I thought I would just break it down to a couple different topics and rate each one seperately in that particular ability.

Build quality
Versys 10/10 - KLR 8/10
The versys is very well made and solid feeling. I could not imagine it being any better made. The KLR is very well made also but continues to have some issues that have not been addressed by Kawasaki such as the doo-hickey.

Suspension
Versys 9/10 - KLR 8/10
The versys has an awesome suspension for a bike of it's kind. The front ends inverted forks make the bike super stable. The KLR has a very good suspension but is a little weak for heavy off-road use but it eats up city streets and potholes with ease.

Power
Versys 8/10 - KR 7/10
The Versys is very capable power wise. It has plenty of acceleration and power and a top speed above anything I ever need to do. The KLR is a little weak on power but still very capable. It does lack a little on the highway as far as top speed.

Handling (low speed)
Versys 9/10 - KLR 10/10
The Versys handles very well. The 17" tires eat up switch backs and winding roads. This is where the KLR shines. It handles like a bicycle and feels like it can go anywhere.

Handling (high speed)
Versys 9/10 - KLR 6/10
The Versys eats up the road at high speed. At a registered 80mph it is rock solid and seems to be begging to go faster. The KLR stumbles a bit here. It is very capable of highway speeds but really gets out of it's element at speeds much above 70mph.

Off-road capability
Versys 7/10 - KLR 9/10
The versys can handle most any dirt or gravel road with no problem but I would stick the surfaces with the word "road" in them. The KLR can handle most anything you can throw at it from paved road to open fields. It's weight is it most limiting factor here.

Aero-dynamics
Versys 9/10 - KLR 7/10
The Versys has great lines and a very effective adjustable front windshield. I am 6'1 and I find the ride quite comfortable at high speeds. The KLR's windshield is low and caused me to experience alot of wind buffeting in my upper chest and shoulders.

Instrumentation
Versys 9/10 - KLR 9/10
The Versys has some hot looking and very effective instrumentation. It is easy to see in all lighting situations and the digital speedo is very nice. The only thing it is lacking is a temperature gauge. It uses a temperature warning light instead. The KLR has a great instrument cluster that tells you most everything you would want to know on a dual-sport. It's analog gauges are very easy to read and understand. It could use a gas gauge and a clock though.

Fuel delivery
Versys 9/10 - KLR 8/10
The fuel injection on the Versys is very responsive and delivers steady and crisp performance. The carburetor on the KLR is easy to adjust and work on and provides good performance but can be hard to start on cold days.

Size/Weight
Versys 10/10 - KLR 9/10
The Versys has a great height to it and a short enough footprint to make it an easy to manuever bike. The weight is heavy enough to keep it panted on the highway but light enough to be righted by a single person. The KLR has a great seat height and a nice length to it. It is a tad bit heavy for a true off-roader though.

Overall
Versys 8.9/10 - KLR 8.1/10

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great comparison, but kind of like comparing apples to oranges! The KLR is battle tried and true, but the Versys is like a cadillac on the road and moderate trails. I would like to have a KLR to go with my Versys! Again good comparison and I hope the Versys catches on here in the US like overseas! Did I mention the Versys rocks! LOL!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great comparison, but kind of like comparing apples to oranges! The KLR is battle tried and true, but the Versys is like a cadillac on the road and moderate trails. I would like to have a KLR to go with my Versys! Again good comparison and I hope the Versys catches on here in the US like overseas! Did I mention the Versys rocks! LOL!
Not really, it is comparing one bike to another. People who make that claim are usually just afraid to admit the short comings of the bike they chose. I have no problem looking at an something like a bike objectively and admitting where it excels and where it falters. I tried to include most of the factors that affected me daily as I owned both bikes and gave my opinion on how each bike addressed those situatons. :)

It is good to compare bikes that have different puposes because some people really need to see such information to decide which factors are more important to them and how they feel they will use the bike.

Some people reading this review may not care at all about high speed handling but be very interested in how well it handles at low speed. others may only care how well it handles on the highway and would be happy as long as it is able to handle a gravel road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you tell me where you got your trunk luggage for your Versys? I went online to Kawasaki and they only have it in black. I was hoping for a different color, like red since that's the color of the bike.
Thanks for your help
Alicat

·
Millenium Vulcan Pilot
3,808 Posts
Not really, it is comparing one bike to another. People who make that claim are usually just afraid to admit the short comings of the bike they chose. I have no problem looking at an something like a bike objectively and admitting where it excels and where it falters. I tried to include most of the factors that affected me daily as I owned both bikes and gave my opinion on how each bike addressed those situatons. :)

It is good to compare bikes that have different puposes because some people really need to see such information to decide which factors are more important to them and how they feel they will use the bike.

Some people reading this review may not care at all about high speed handling but be very interested in how well it handles at low speed. others may only care how well it handles on the highway and would be happy as long as it is able to handle a gravel road.
You forgot one area of comparison, or maybe two. :smile:

LOOKS!! and ok, Gas Mileage, well then there's storage, and don't forget Wheelies, most important on any offroad bike. :lol:

I know, I know, it's an old thread, but since it got reopened, I had to ask. :smile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts