Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom SE. Short cruises w/o a shield are great, but looking at getting one for the longer rides. I see Kawasaki makes a Cafe, a short and a tall shield. I'm 6'-0" tall and have read a lot about buffering concerns. The last thing I want is to invest in a windshield only to cause more wind on the helmet area.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Michigan Back Road Rider
293 Posts
The cafe will give you more wind on your helmet but not buffeting. It relieves the wind from your chest area.

·
Registered
807 Posts
That is really a shame. The Cafe is a nice looking shield but it looks like it (And you say it does) directs the air to your helmet. So more noise, more bugs on the face and a sore neck? Is that what I am getting with the Cafe? I may have to pick another shield for my trip as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm 6' 4" and have the short 15" windshield on my custom. Like the cafe it mainly just takes some of the wind off your chest which is fine with me 'cause I like the more natural feel of riding. I do get helmet buffeting when it's a really windy day. You may want something larger for more protection.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm quite a bit shorter than you at 5' 7" and the cafe puts wind into my face but takes it off the chest. Since you're in a different atmosphere than I am, I can only tell you I have never had buffeting with the cafe shield.

Covman

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've found that being 6'4, no matter what shield I use, I get hit by some buffeting. Right now I have the biggest shield memphis makes on my 1500 and still get hit a bit. I guess it's causing bad seat posture as I slouch to duck behind it :-/

·
Registered
8 Posts
i am 6' and ride a 09 custom. i have a memphis shades alley cat shield with quick release trigger locks. it takes the wind completely off me, and less than 30sec and its off for cruising in town. looks great and completes the custom look

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am 6'0 also. I picked up the cafe windshield to take the wind off my body, which it does a great job of, and it looks cool! I don't feel like I've just been in a cage match after a long ride on the freeway. It does however direct all the air to my helmet now. Really the only negatives are more air noise and more bugs on my visor. I'm thinking if I do go on another week long trip again this summer I'll pick up a bigger windshield to cut back some noise and bugs.

·
Registered
807 Posts
That is what I thought. Up here, bugs are a real issue without a windshield. I don't want one that directs more into my face. Thanks gang. Time to look at a different option.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i am 6' and ride a 09 custom. i have a memphis shades alley cat shield with quick release trigger locks. it takes the wind completely off me, and less than 30sec and its off for cruising in town. looks great and completes the custom look
I'm curious. Do you look over the alley cat or do you look through it? It makes a BIG difference.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Like others have mentioned already. The cafe takes the wind of your chest but put it right in your face. Still the best looking winshield for vn900 available imo. I got a hold of a short oem wind shield and looks pretty good on the bike but I still get some wind on my head but its tolerable now. The bigger the shield the more protection. I do tell you this, once you try a large windshield you probably won't go back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts