Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I have been working on my bike replacing parts. whille doing this my friend who was heloing put the battery in oppisite poles and it was on there for about a minute and we tried to start it in that time. so we switched them anfd there was no power at all to the bike. so we checked the fuses and the starter solenoid fuse was blown so we swapped it out for another 30a fuse. at this point I have my exhaust off down to the cat. I have the baffle? off, the butterfly valve in the exhaust. and i originally had the electronic module controling that out. but the bike wouldnt start. so i figured it was because of the module. so i plugged it back in and jusat removed the cables to it. Now i start it and it starts right up. runs for about 5 seconds then just shuts off. anf the Fi and OIl light are on. the bke has oil. and i did have the gas tank off before hand. so i double checked all the connections and such and fuel lines. and everything was good. no leaks. so i am clueless on what it is now. any help? anyone whose had this same problem while doing there own exhaust swap?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i forgot to mention that. it wont start back up. i got a little chance to look at it again and if i just the switch to run without starting it. after about 5 seconds the fi light just turns on then wont start. like it runs a system check and notices somthing wrong then automatically shuts off to prevent engine damage. so im cluelless to what it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think i figured it out. IM going to try it tomorrow morning when i can get back to my bike. but i relaized the theres an air temperature sensor in the tail section by the tail assembly that i have removed. and that is part of the fuel injection system. thats why the bike will run for 5 seconds. then shut off because the ecu donesnt read the thermister. so im almost a hundred percent on this but ill post if it works just if anyones curious.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the reason that you probably aren't getting too much response here is the fact that reversing battery polarity on an FI bike has the potential to be a major league disaster. What blew the main fuse was probably the regulator/rectifier being forward biased. Hopefully the fuse blew with the key off before major damage was done to the ECU, but, I think that every electronic component on your bike is going to have to be checked out. Something that can be tough to do on a forum.
The only thing I might suggest besides checking ALL fuses, particularly the ignition fuse, is to see if the ECU will give you an error code.
With luck, may be an easy fix but could also be very ugly.
There is a possibility of regulator/rectifier damage, too.

Sorry.

Post back if you find anything or with questions.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I think i figured it out. IM going to try it tomorrow morning when i can get back to my bike. but i relaized the theres an air temperature sensor in the tail section by the tail assembly that i have removed. and that is part of the fuel injection system. thats why the bike will run for 5 seconds. then shut off because the ecu donesnt read the thermister. so im almost a hundred percent on this but ill post if it works just if anyones curious.
Most sensors will give an ECU code but should not stop the bike from running.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i read the part number wrong. its actually the vehicle down sensor. which makes more sense now becuase the bike run but then after the system check the computer thinks the bike is down. and its part of the fuel injection system.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
which makes more sense now becuase the bike run but then after the system check the computer thinks the bike is down. and its part of the fuel injection system.
The Engine will NOT run if the VDS is disconnected (Not even for 5 secs) Otherwise it's function is negated.

sfair is right all sensors will throw a code.

Some will stop the Motor running some won't

The ECU will default sensors like the Air Temp to an average setting and run the engine whilst sensors such as the Cam, Crank, Vehicle Down & Pickup Sensor will stop the bike starting or running until the fault is corrected.

I can think of no sensor that will allow the bike to run then shut it down as your describing.

I'll go +1 on the comment sfair made about your electrics are probably partially fried :(

Your Bike has the Fi code reading function built into the Meter set so see what if Codes are displayed...

And while were on the sunject of Fi codes the ECU does'nt have a self diagnostic function !!! In plain terms if it's faulty it can't tell you :(

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Ummm Glad that sorted it, But it makes no sense why the engine should run for a short period before shutting down as the VDS's function is to shut the motor off in the event of the bike achieving a preset angle of lean and remaining in this state until the bike is righted.

I feel a test coming up next time i've a 09 6R in :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
The only thing that I can think of is that a false trigger of this system may put life and limb in danger with an abrupt power loss, so a timer has been incorporated to ensure that it is valid sideways slide before a shut down command is issued to the reactor core!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
The only thing that I can think of is that a false trigger of this system may put life and limb in danger with an abrupt power loss, so a timer has been incorporated to ensure that it is valid sideways slide before a shut down command is issured to the reactor core!
Bang on Sir, thinking about it if there were no timmer in place even a nasty bump in the road would facilitate a shut down of the reactor core....!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.