Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help!
I have a 1979 sr650.I overhauled the top end,new coils, spark plug caps,plugs,points,condenser,valves shimmed, carbs overhauled. When i first started it #1 and 4 were cold. I pulled the point cover off then i had spark. Now Just # 1 is cold. I pulled apart the # 1 carb and checked all my settings. All good. I tried hotter plugs, same thing, #1 cold. I'm thinking maybe i have a bad coil. It runs good when i ride it but the #1 pipe is not the same color as 2,3,4 are gold brown. The only thing i have not done yet is a final sink the carbs. I need some suggestions.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
It's possible that a sparkplug cap has failed, to find out, switch the sparkplug wires around for that coil. The cap contains a resistor to surpress the RFI(the noise heard when plus fire on radio's and t.v.'s).

If that does not work, make a digram where the primary(small wires) and the secondary(sparkplug wires) go and ohm check the coils.Remove all the wiring from the ignition coils.

Using an ohm meter or multimeter, check the primary side, set the meter to OHMS, range of 200(or the lowest range setting). Touch one probe to one terminal of the coil and the other to the other side.If the ignition coil reads good, the meter will indicate either by displaying the resistance(usualy 2.2. to 3 OHMS or so).

To check the secondary side, remove the sparkplug cables/wires/leads and again using the multimeter,only this time change the range to the 20K(thousand) setting. The two brass spikes inside the ignition coil are the terminals for the sparkplug cables. The reading this time might be between 10.4 to 15.6K(thousand) OHMS.

If the coil checks out, try heating it up with a hair dryer to stress it and check it again. It may be failing due to age and heat.

·
Registered
145 Posts
what was involved in the carb overhaul?....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have new coils, but that does not mean they are good. I have not done an ohm check but i have new spark plug caps. I do have a new coil coming.
What about carburation? I have done a full carb overhaul, dipped in carb cleaner and new gaskets, needle and seat, i did move the the clip down one notch and one jet bigger on the main because of the vanes and hines exhaust and can filters.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
If you put a 4-1 and pod filters on you'll have to do a lot more than just 1 size on main jet and move the clip 1.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the problem.
I had a bad o ring on the #1 carb lean / rich adjustment screw. I was running it the other night and heard a gurggle from the pod filter on #1 carb. When I turned the screw in all the way the gurggle stop. I went to Auto Zone and bought a o ring kit for $3.00 and as soon as I put it in the cylinder came to life.
I have a couple questions on the adjusting screw. Is srcewing it in make it richer or bring it out? The book said that 1 1/2 turns from the bottom is the starting point is that about right?
Also when the exhaust is blue does this mean it's to rich or lean?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Blue is hot and lean. Don't know what carbs you have but generally, if the mixture screw is on the engine side of the carb it controls fuel so out is richer, in is leaner, if the screw is on the airbox side of the carb it's air and out is leaner, in is richer.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I believe turning the screw out makes it richer, as for the pipe color,the Japanese factory exhaust systems are double walled so they don't show lean conditions.

Check your sparkplugs at the center insulator; White,too lean,Black, too rich and light tan, about right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My adjusting screw is on the airbox side, I'm not sure which is lean and rich on the screw. I do recall reading in is rich and out is lean, but which is which.
Ran the bike last night and noticed 1,3,4 were glowing red, is this too lean?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I do recall reading in is rich and out is lean, but which is which.
Ran the bike last night and noticed 1,3,4 were glowing red, is this too lean?
What do you mean "which is which"? Do you mean which direction of rotation is in and which direction is out? If they're glowing red then it sure sounds to me like it's lean or hitting on open valves (valve adjustment or timing).

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Blue is hot and lean. Don't know what carbs you have but generally, if the mixture screw is on the engine side of the carb it controls fuel so out is richer, in is leaner, if the screw is on the airbox side of the carb it's air and out is leaner, in is richer.
Guess you missed that part. :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the air pods on my bike, should I leave the air inductoon tube open or put a filter on it? If I leave it open as it was when I got the bike, does it harm the engine in any way?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Not sure what you mean by this induction-tube m8 :confused:

If it's the crankcase-vent tube that used to go to the airbox (from the big, circular cover) then it was used to pass vapour/oil-mist back through for emissions reasons, a filter not vital but might keep the bike cleaner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll explain it a little more.
My valve cover has 2 read valves on the front of the cover, then each one has a hose going to a vaccum switch, then the large hose that went to the air box before the air pods were put on. The way I understand it, its for emissions. The unburned gas left in the exhaust is burned again. I do feel the air draw when its running.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm with you now Steve, sorry, older Zedders never had these reed-valves in UK.

Do as M.Folks says and buy a kit or you could, as i did on my ZXR750L and ZX9R, take the reed-valve covers off and make a thick rubber gasket to seal them off and keep dirt out then replace the covers. gets rid of a fair bit of clutter that :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts