Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I check the exhaust temps on my 85 ZN700 after riding it and the temp of the #1 cylinder exhaust had been getting lower and lower compared to the other 3. I don't ride it that often. So, yesterday I removed the seat and gas tank, removed the idle mix screw, and sprayed carb cleaner down the hole. I waited a while and sprayed some more. The I blew air through the hole. Reassembled the bike and took it for a ride. The #1 exhaust temp is almost back to where the other 3 are now. Hopefully, the addition of a bottle of Gumout with PEA in the gas and riding it will finish the cleaning job. While I had the tank off I checked the #1 spark plug wire. The cap is about 4500 ohms and the copper wire is 0 ohms, so I didn't change it. The Keihin carbs on the bike has the mixture screw in the vertical position requiring the tank to be removed to get to them. I fished out the spring, washer, and o-ring with a slightly bent pick. when I reinstalled it I put some thick bearing grease on the end of the screw hopefully holding the spring, washer, and o-ring in place while reinsering it into the vertical hole. I'll see how it turns out. I hate taking off the carbs because it is so hard to disconnect and reconnect the throttle cables. Perhaps this information will help someone.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I checked the compression first and they were 168 to 178 psig in the four cylinders. I thought it to be a little strange that the inside cylinders had the highest compression. Only about 5,700 miles on the bike so far.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I like your carb cleaner down the pilot air screw hole trick while leaving the carbs on the bike! I have added that to my bag of tricks. Mine will be easier to do since the airscrew on the ZN1100 is slightly different than yours. Mine does not use a washer and the o ring is firmly inserted into a groove on the airscrew. The only thing I would have to fish out would be the spring, but heck... why not leave it in there? If the spray tube of the carb cleaner is inserted to the bottom of the hole (through) the spring, where can the spring go?

I hope the grease trick works out for you. Anyone using grease to hold the spring, washer and o ring in place should use it sparingly. If you slobber too much grease on it, the grease can block the tiny passageways in the carb. But I suppose another blast of carb cleaner would fix that.

It is interesting that you take exhaust temperatures and it highlighted a problem that may otherwise have gone undetected. Kudos.

I also struggled with the throttle cable attachment on my ZN. I ended up learning that putting maximum slack in the cable and then popping it out of its holder at the carb end helped a lot, as did finding a way to jam the carbs open which brings the cable attachment point where you can see it and access it better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts