Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago I changed my oil and made a really stupid mistake by overfilling my bike and riding it a couple days like that. While washing my bike I noticed a little oil that seemed like it had seeped down form the rear right side cylinder of my bike ( exhaust side). Upon doing some research I believe the problem is my Rocker Gasket is leaking. Though it is not a large amount it is still noticeable after riding for a couple hours. The Kawasaki dealership wants 1000 Bucks to replace it!! Am I screwed or what???

04 Vulcan 1500 Classic

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
That's crazy. Maybe before replacing it, you should try torquing down the cover to spec? I had a similar leak on my first Ninja, and I just cinched down the cover and it stopped. After years of a neglectful owner and typical 250 vibrations, it got loose. Try torquing it down if you have the time & tools.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
07ninja250 thanks for the idea but you can't get to all the bolts without removing the engine. That's why its a big expense but it shouldn't be that big. The guy said it was an 12hr job which would be like $83 an hour.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
Have you actually seen the Kawas book that claims 12 for a removal? Maybe 12 hours to remove/regasket/replace. I find that a bitter seed to swallow too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Called the Kawasaki dealer in Kansas City and they said it was a 6hr job and would do it for $525 and they seemed pretty nice. Its still crazy expensive an hour but better than dealing with the a-holes here in Topeka.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
To replace the rocker cover gaskets, requires engine removal and all that goes with it. Depending on the miles, it may be a good idea to reseal the rocker case and replace the cam plugs. I have done the job twice, once on my bike and again on a friends bike. Six hours is pretty quick, but doable. I doubt that the flat rate for the job is six hours...that sounds a little low. Twelve seems high, but let's say that it is six. If we assume a low shop labor rate at 80, then the labor alone would be 480. Add for gaskets and a 525 figure seems right in line and very reasonable.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I had this done on my 1600. Luckily it was covered by warranty, but yes, it involves removing the entire engine.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Sounds to me like the cam plug is leaking ($4 and 5 hours labor). Clean the engine thouroughly to confirm this. I just de-greased the area of the cam plug, covered the thing in black Permatex and let it dry for a day and a half. It's ugly, but not really noticable unless you look closely, it's no longer peeing oil on my leg, and cost me nothing.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
If it's the cam plug, the oil will follow a couple of the fins and end up dripping off the bottom of the exhaust flange. Gets all over the side cover, seat, and your leg at speed.

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
i was thinking the shops were quoting high because the job is kinda PITA. They want it to be worth their time. Shops don't make much money on labor. They make more of their money on parts.
I don't get how people believe that. Most shops around here will charge 75 - 100/hr. The tech makes maybe 20 - 25 leaving 50 - 75 for the shop. This works our to a low of 400/day/bay.

I wish I didn't make that kinda money

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Top right of the rear jug, top left of the front jug (sitting on the bike) toward the center just under the lip of the chrome cover.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Funny thing........I will be doing this job on a 97 1500 next week. I will let you know how many hours it takes me. If you want, I will take pics of my progress from start to finish.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't get how people believe that. Most shops around here will charge 75 - 100/hr. The tech makes maybe 20 - 25 leaving 50 - 75 for the shop. This works our to a low of 400/day/bay.

I wish I didn't make that kinda money
I suppose it depends on how big your shop is. One man show versus dealership. I see your point if you own a bigger shop with a few techs.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Funny thing........I will be doing this job on a 97 1500 next week. I will let you know how many hours it takes me. If you want, I will take pics of my progress from start to finish.
That would be awesome :mrgreen:
I seem to forget the camera most times I'm ripping into something like that.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts