Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeee iiiiiitttttt iiiiiiiisssss!!!!!!!! The 100th post! Whoohoo!! I know, a piece of string can keep me busy all day.:mrgreen: I found out that the Kawi lightbar has 25w bulbs. Does anyone know if switching to the 35w bulbs would be alright wired into the headlight bucket. I know that I need to rewire for 55w, but I was wondering about just a 10w increase. Thanks, Craig

·
Registered
146 Posts
35w's...

I've been running 35's on my 1600 ever since my 25's burned out...3+ years now, no special modifications...plug n play!

VulClass16

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Heeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeee iiiiiitttttt iiiiiiiisssss!!!!!!!! The 100th post! Whoohoo!! I know, a piece of string can keep me busy all day.:mrgreen: I found out that the Kawi lightbar has 25w bulbs. Does anyone know if switching to the 35w bulbs would be alright wired into the headlight bucket. I know that I need to rewire for 55w, but I was wondering about just a 10w increase. Thanks, Craig
don't ever underestimate the entertainment value a good piece of string can provide

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
I've been running the 55 watt bulbs on my Cobra Light bar for over a year now...no problems...no blow fuses....super bright.
Mine power from the accessary leads in the headlight bucket and I believe it is protected with a 10amp fuse...by the way I also run the acces socket that powers my GPS on the same circuit.
Go for the gusto....get the 55 watt bulbs....Napa has them

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been running 35's on my 1600 ever since my 25's burned out...3+ years now, no special modifications...plug n play!
Sounds good. I think the 35w bulbs will be bright enough for now. I'll just replace the 25w with the 35w. Thanks, Craig

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
don't ever underestimate the entertainment value a good piece of string can provide
Hey, I thought I was the only simplton on this forum. Well, who wooda thunk it!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Notsonewbie
52 Posts
Not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs here, but its pretty simple to find out if your fuse is robust enough to deal with your lights. Its simple as PIE!

P = IxE where P is power (wattage), I is current and E is voltage.

In a 12vDC system 2x55w bulbs = 110W = Ix12V -> I = 110W/12v = 9.17A

I have my lightbar wired into my accessory cct and running 55w bulbs, my 10A fuse works just great. I wouldn't suggest trying to run 2x100W bulbs as they are good in theory, not so good in practice. I am a little embarrassed being a Naval Electrician and blowing 2 fuses to learn that lesson :) Hope this helps!

·
Notsonewbie
52 Posts
Touché.. as voltage drops, current increases.. whenever I'm figuring out optimal fuse sizes, I go with 12V for the system. With a running bike operating about 14v, the current draw for 2x55w bulbs is about 7.86A

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I installed my Cobra light bar in the spring of 07. I used the tracer wire just like you did. I put in 35 watt bulbs, and have been running all year that way, with no issues. Lights up every time.

D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts