Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there...NEAT forum!...Picked up an '82 1100 Spectre last summer. Wouldn't idle so I pulled the carbs and did thw whole bit. Synched 'em an' nuthin' but FUN.....Bike had less than 10K when I started runnin' it again. Cured a top end oil leak by replacing the 4 half moon plugs and the gasket. NEW leak.......looks like it's comin' out between the head an' the block on the outside(right side)......any EASY cure out there?? :? This is my 2nd bike after not riding for 25 years......first is a '67 electraglide....I know, I know, but that was the last one I rode long ago......The cow's lots more funnnnnnnn....and leaks WAY less oil.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
dabarnguywa,

Welcome to the forum. I own a Spectre too....a 750. I had a small oil leak somewhere on the top end of the motor...My mechanic said that since the bike hadn't been ridden in a while, that the leak would probably seal itself after running it for awhile...wala it did!!!!

Welcome to the forum...we have a lot of fun up here.

Heather

·
Registered
28 Posts
'83 KZ750 spectre

dabarnguywa,

Welcome to the forum. I own a Spectre too....a 750. I had a small oil leak somewhere on the top end of the motor...My mechanic said that since the bike hadn't been ridden in a while, that the leak would probably seal itself after running it for awhile...wala it did!!!!

Welcome to the forum...we have a lot of fun up here.

Heather
Just wondering what I should look out for with the spectre.
I have the oil leak too.
some hesitation on the throttle needs carb sync. I'm sure 31k on the bike but she still starts and runs pretty darn good.
I was wondering if the valve adjust would help too?
any info on the spectre would be great!
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there...NEAT forum!...Picked up an '82 1100 Spectre last summer. Wouldn't idle so I pulled the carbs and did thw whole bit. Synched 'em an' nuthin' but FUN.....Bike had less than 10K when I started runnin' it again. Cured a top end oil leak by replacing the 4 half moon plugs and the gasket. NEW leak.......looks like it's comin' out between the head an' the block on the outside(right side)......any EASY cure out there?? :? This is my 2nd bike after not riding for 25 years......first is a '67 electraglide....I know, I know, but that was the last one I rode long ago......The cow's lots more funnnnnnnn....and leaks WAY less oil.
keep your rpm's down-mine is fine as long as I remember it is 27yrs old!!!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have two of them....

one for 15 years. Yep, they weep oil on the left side because when you park them the oil in the cam compartment pools against the gasket when the bike is parked. You can goop the hell out of the gaskets and it will help. Don't forget to seal the two outer cam cover bolts that run through the end plugs. The oil will weep through the threads. If it is the orings between the head and cylinders, they can be changed and when you do, put some sealant on them, especially the big oring around the cam chain hole. All my bikes like to weep oil from the cylinder base gaskets too. That gasket is a PITA to change. I think my bikes think they are Harleys.......chris3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts