Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new Kaw owner and forum n00b with a possibly stupid question.

The bike in question is a '77 KZ1000. The only thing resembling a VIN on it is a 12-digit code, printed on the mfr label and stamped into the frame where a 17-digit VIN would normally be: KZT00A-012273.

Buykawasaki says that's not a valid VIN/HIN. The bike has no title (plate expired and bike abandoned in 1984, sat in storage until 1997, last owner never bothered to title and reg it), so I can't go by it. Using Uncle Bob's decoder, I've almost developed a 17-digit VIN for it: JK1GU71A?7?012273. Not knowing the check digit or the factory location code, I can't go any further... and it's not on the frame in that form anyway.

Little help here?

·
Registered
29 Posts
hey, new Kaw owner and forum noob myself, heh

I don't think the 17 digit VIN standard came around until around 1980 but I may be wrong. My bike is a '73 and the VIN/SN is Z1F-41288

by the way I have the same problem as you, this bike hadn't been registered since '87 and there is no title anywhere to be found. I do have the plate that was on it in '87, I'm hoping that will help some.

·
Registered
191 Posts
try

KZT00A sounds right for a kz1000 and the A for a model then the 6 digits. frame number should still be on the head stock. and vin range for that year is
KZTOOA500001 - 507026 for the Amodel. usa mfg
KZTOOA000101 - 026623 for the A model japan mfg.

so everything does seem in order. if you go to the dmv they should be able to pull it up. you can also take your engine number, although i dont think it will help. that is located under your carb on the rh engine case. should be fairly obvious. it should be in this range KZTOOAE000101 - 41170.

hope that helps

matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello gents,

Insurance gave me no hassles at all concerning the VIN, and the verification place didn't look twice, except to comment on how good the bike looks for its age. DMV may be another kettle of tripe entirely.

Thanks,
Coinneach

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem, new to road bikes (always had a bike to ride the fields growing up but first time trying to get a bike legal for road use) I on the other hand have the title, the title says the vin is KZ750H009845, I had the bike plated a couple years ago and insured too, but then I put it in storage and just getting it back out, tried calling the insurance company and they say its not a valid VIN, but said just bring the title in and they will make a copy of it just in case there is any question about it being a valid VIN, and somehow I had it plated before so the DMV must have accepted it as a VIN before...

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
rininger42r said:
I have the same problem, new to road bikes (always had a bike to ride the fields growing up but first time trying to get a bike legal for road use) I on the other hand have the title, the title says the vin is KZ750H009845, I had the bike plated a couple years ago and insured too, but then I put it in storage and just getting it back out, tried calling the insurance company and they say its not a valid VIN, but said just bring the title in and they will make a copy of it just in case there is any question about it being a valid VIN, and somehow I had it plated before so the DMV must have accepted it as a VIN before...
I'd bet you just caught someone whose inexperience caused them to dismiss your VIN without bothering to look it up. All these older bikes have a shorter VIN and there is no way to make it longer. :D

- Nate >>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts