Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - so the weather was nice and wanted to catch up on some much needed repairs. I was trying to take off a 12mm hex bolted to frame and I couldn't get enough leverage with the "L" shaped hex key. I tried a little heat and no go. I tried a t-handle set and no go. I just need some good leverage so I went to Sears and they don't have a 12mm allen hex socket for 3/8 or 1/2". I did find one on ebay, but wanted to see if there is something I can do before the 12mm hex shows up.

Any thoughts?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
just put a LONG box end wrench on it man (put the box end OVER the long end of the allen for LEVERAGE). thats all i would do.
good luck

·
Registered
607 Posts
[deleted] Sorry, I misunderstood problem on first reading.
(Where's the DELETE-POST button?)
-C

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking in the realm of what you were suggesting... I even tried putting my 200 pounds of combat boot to the test and the thing wouldn't budge. I'll give it a shot in the morning.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I felt like shooting the **** thing after it wouldn't come out... It's a new day. As soon as I get my lazy butt up, it's out to the garage I go to try again ;-)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok - so I go out to the garage to battle with the dumb 12mm bolt and I am cranking away with a big crescent wrench for torque and its still not good [email protected]#$%^&*

As I look at my other bike I remember that the handle to the lift is hollow and long :idea:

Pull out the lifts bar and put it on the "L" hex key and push real hard and the biiiiatch finally starts to move.

Thanks all

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
At least it turned out good in the end. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Go to sears they have a 12 mm allen wrench buy a 12mm socket whatever size drive you like 3/8 or 1/2 inch. If you have dremil get a cut off wheel if not a hack saw will do. cut the allen wrench about 1 - 2 inchs long and as straight as you can and JB weld it into the socket. now use a big a$$ breakerbar or an air / electric inpact gun

1 - 13 of 13 Posts