Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install a cigarette lighter socket on my 900, not for smokes (i quit in june after my heart attack) but for my GPS and other power needs. Any suggestions for wiring options and locations? Can I use the spare wires in the headlight housing. BTW I bought the Ram Mount and love it.

·
Many roads -little time
157 Posts
12v socket

I am going to install a cigarette lighter socket on my 900, not for smokes (i quit in june after my heart attack) but for my GPS and other power needs. Any suggestions for wiring options and locations? Can I use the spare wires in the headlight housing. BTW I bought the Ram Mount and love it.
The only problem with the accessory sockets in the headlight bucket is they are hot all the time. The HL bucket is a great source but hook into the headlight connectors instead of using the existing accessory sockets.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wanted it hot all the time, so it's plugged into the accessory leads in the headlight bucket. Couple of bullet connectors, heat shrink tubing, and some wire wrap.

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
Go for the Headlight bucket extra leads, i use that and its great for charging cell phones, ipods and gps while the bike is parked in the driveway.

·
Enjoy the journey!
1,306 Posts
I connect mine to the charging lines for my Bettery tender, its already fused, and I just ran the pair of wires up along the frame to th efront and connected the power port to them, to further protect the wires, I put on plastic spiral wrap over them, and my wire connectors have shrink sleves on them so its all well insulated, and protected from the elements. Yeah I know,, no pictures! :)

·
Registered
858 Posts
duplicate

I connect mine to the charging lines for my Bettery tender, its already fused, and I just ran the pair of wires up along the frame to th efront and connected the power port to them, to further protect the wires, I put on plastic spiral wrap over them, and my wire connectors have shrink sleves on them so its all well insulated, and protected from the elements. Yeah I know,, no pictures! :)
DITTO here too!

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah I think I will puy the battery tender jr and hard wire it into the quick connect. Until I do the headlight accessory leads will do.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
The only problem with the accessory sockets in the headlight bucket is they are hot all the time. The HL bucket is a great source but hook into the headlight connectors instead of using the existing accessory sockets.
If you use a relay you can use the accessory connectors for the power and tap into switched power to activate the 12v outlet only when the bike is on. That's how I did mine, it was pretty simple.

My 12v outlet is zip tied to my handlebars. Not pretty but it gets the job done.

·
Many roads -little time
157 Posts
If you use a relay you can use the accessory connectors for the power and tap into switched power to activate the 12v outlet only when the bike is on. That's how I did mine, it was pretty simple.

My 12v outlet is zip tied to my handlebars. Not pretty but it gets the job done.
Could you please send some detailed instructions to a guy who has it wired directly to the accessory socket? I really would like the GPS to go off when I turn the bike off. Then I could leave the GPS on the bike while in the garage and not have to remove it after every trip.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I bought this one: Black and Water proof

I snipped the ends and wired 18 gauge wire that goes to battery tender plug under the tank. I have it zip tied the the other cables by the neck on the right side. Blends in well there.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think it would although it is not very long and needs to be extended. I have a float charger that came from Harbor Freight however. I ended up cutting the alligator clips off and wired in a 1/4" Phono Plug to it. I have a female end, fused, coming off the battery that it can plug into for the tender and the 12 volt socket.

·
Original Oklahoma *******
38 Posts
Wouldnt that plug right into the quick disconnect on the battery tender?
It would, but the leads are too short as pointed out by cocheese72. You could get a ready made pigtail for a two wire trailer light plug that plugs right into the battery tender's leads, then splice an inline fuse into one wire of it. Plenty long then. Only thing you'd have to watch is leaving the GPS on since it would be always on.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Could you please send some detailed instructions to a guy who has it wired directly to the accessory socket? I really would like the GPS to go off when I turn the bike off. Then I could leave the GPS on the bike while in the garage and not have to remove it after every trip.
I'm not sure what the wire colors are for your bike, but the basic set up is like this:

On the relay, post 87 goes to the hot wire of the 12v adapter. Post 85 goes to the ground of the 12v adapter- you'll also have to splice this to a ground on the bike. Post 30 goes to the unswitched accessory socket. Post 86 is spliced into a wire that is controlled by the ignition switch- I tapped into a running light wire.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Behind or stuffed into your headlight are at least 2 open connectors for 12volt accessories. This is what I'd use.

·
Night Rider
802 Posts
Behind or stuffed into your headlight are at least 2 open connectors for 12volt accessories. This is what I'd use.
Not for 12 volt accessories per se, but for any accessories whose voltage usage doesn't go above 8 amps or you'll be popping fuses and don't replace with a bigger fuse to solve the problem.

·
Many roads -little time
157 Posts
My problem is I don't want it hot unless the key is on and these are hot all the time. If I leave my GPS on the bike in the garage, it will eventually kill the battery. I think I have a found a solution I like if it will work. I found some 3m Scotchlok T-Tap connectors that I can hook into the headlight wire itself and then it works only when the switch is on and the headlight is on. Do you think this will blow a fuse on the headlight?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts