Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting an average of about 37 MPG during my break-in period (only have about 500 miles right now on the bike. Weather's been cold, low 40's/high 30's for the couple hundred miles I've ridden. This about normal? Using 93 octane. Pulled a rear cylinder plug yesterday and the color looked good. Other bikes I've owned seemed to get good gas mileage right from the start but I haven't broken one in in this cold a temperature. One mechanic once told me that you can loose up to 5 mpg in colder weather. I find that a little hard to believe. If this kind of milage continues would putting it on a dyno and tweeking the mapping help. I bought this 2008 used with only 330 miles on it and with straight pipes(no baffles I could see) on it. I had the dealer put the stock pipes back on and I asked him if they had to adjust the mapping. Of course he said no, but I suppose there is a possibility that the prior owner adjusted the mapping when he had the straight pipes put on. Comments please??

·
98' 1500 Classic
978 Posts
If the stock pipes are on then wouldn't logic dictate that the map 'should' be set to stock? Wouldn't it still be under warranty and see if a dealer can just check the stock map/set it to stock. I doubt colder air effects mpg to that degree.

What are you really expecting?

I get 45 (give or take) consistently, but I drive pretty conservative and mine is 10 yr older than yours and carb' so its not a good comparison.

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
Mine has consistantly gotten around 40 average. I've had it vary from 32 to as high as 48, FWIW.

·
satyride
34 Posts
Gas Milage 1600 Mean Streak....SH**.

I just read about a 1500 getting 36 +mpg at break in...sh**. I get 30-32 at best in FL.(flat as hell) on 93 octane, with 39/40 pressure in tires, no hot rod at all, nice and ez,2006 -FI 1600cc Mean Streak. Now I am over 200 lbs but my Magna (95) gets a continuous 40-41 with high of 49 with 4 carbs and a lot faster bike.( 550 lbs loaded bagger-touring) Also gas tankon MS is 4,12 gal til dry....out of gas dry NOT 4.5 as advertised..Yah ,I tilt the tank to fill. I am rider for 50 years.Many -MANY bikes Now this is some what a stop and go driving scene here but not light to light type big city driving.I am going to a 2/1 pipe,PC3, and Thunder air box...but that may richen the fuel curve....any others with low mileage MS 1600FI I have just over 3000 miles on clock) and bad mileage solutions????Milage has nort varied since new,,runs fine.but mileage SUCKS.

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
If the bike has the stock FI controller then it cannot be remapped. That's why people buy the aftermarket FI controllers when they need to adjust their FI settings.

I'm pretty sure your mileage will improve over time, say another 1500 miles. Remember not to lug the engine. In other words, do not be in fifth gear at 50 mph, that's a good fourth gear speed.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
967 Posts
The worst mileage that I've ever gotten on mine has been 42. That was just after the break-in period. I didn't check mine while I was breaking it in because I knew it wouldn't be indicative of the way I was going to ride. Best has been about 52 but usually around 45 even after I've went with the Longshots. I would think that yours will pick up some...
Charles

·
Registered
294 Posts
Should be getting better than that, right off the git go I was right at 40MPG with the same amount of mileage, 2006 1500 stock. of course If you like to twist the throttle a lot, jumping on it from the lights, then you will pay the price.

Fuel formulation will have and effect on mileage and will vary from state to state. I have gotten as high as 49 to low the 40's. Downhill with a good tail wind at 65MPH I have gone as high as 50.

I generally stop for gas at the 130Mile marker or If I don't know the territory stop whenever, do the 7th inning stretch, and away you go.

Put some miles on it and check, vary your octane to fit your riding patterns
ride Safe above all

·
'06 1500 Anniversary
64 Posts
My '06 has always gotten over 40 as well. Driving to work I usually get 42-44. On the hyway I have gotten up to 48.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts