Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that may be getting a new bike. He said I could his 2004 1500 Classic cheap. It has 12,400 miles on it and new tires.

My question is, are these bikes any good? Is there anything I need to look out for?

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
First part of your question - YES they are great bikes and that has looooow miles...

Second part of your question - Not much is inherently wrong with the 2004 model, just get on her and ride. In about 10k - 15k more miles you may need to get cam chain tensioner extenders.

Go to Gadget's website, he has tons of info about these bikes...

Gadget's Fixit Page For Kawasaki Nomad & Classic Modification Maintenance & Repair

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes,they are excellent bikes.No problems with mine at all.I usually ride with 4 other vulcans,and all have been super reliable.

·
'01 1500 Classic FI
1,163 Posts
I have a friend that may be getting a new bike. He said I could his 2004 1500 Classic cheap. It has 12,400 miles on it and new tires.
The 2004 1500 Classic that your friend has is the carb version
with 4.2 gallon gas tank. The 2004 1500 Classics have identical
paint schemes to those of the original 1996 1500 Classics. That
was red/black and white/green.

Excellent motorcycle, and if you can get it cheap with those low
miles, go for it!

Just have to wait and see if your friend actually gets a new bike
as it's easier to talk about it than it is to do it.

·
Registered
219 Posts

My question is, are these bikes any good? Is there anything I need to look out for?
Lots of them hit 100,000 miles. There are a few on this forum with over 200,000. I have 37,000 on my '06, and other than a flat tire, she's never missed a beat. I don't think they're fully broken in until about 20,000, at least that's when mine seemed to hit her stride, so yours is still in the "new" phase. Good luck.

windman
'06 1500 Classic anniv. ed.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just have to wait and see if your friend actually gets a new bike
as it's easier to talk about it than it is to do it.

Ain't that the truth!! The hard part for me isn't buying the new bike (Road Star) but parting with the "old" (my Classic). I may end up with both in the stall.

windman
'06 1500 Classic anniv. ed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. The thing is with this guy is his wife is pushing him to a Harley. From what I have seen, I think it will happen. Just from what you all have said I do not think I could go wrong on a deal for it. I could sell my old 89 600r ninja and have the type of bike I want.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a 2008 1500 Classic. By far the best cruiser I've owned. See my other posts for my comments. I put on about 8-10K miles per year. No problems at all. Really easy to service, too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thats what I ride...mine is awsome..I love it. Mines a 2004 with 6,000 miles and it runs great...whas he asking for it???

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would like to piggy back on this thread to ask a question since everyone that has responded appears to have a 1500 classic. First of all the 1500 is a great bike. I sold an 06 model last summer and I bought an 08 model last month. My question is has anyone added the Kawa Ribbed Grips P/N K53020-226A to there 1500. I bought a set off ebay but when I compare them to the stock grips they're 1/2 inch longer. Is that a problem and do they actually fit an 08 1500 Classic as stated on Kawasaki's website. Thanks.

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
2007 1500 Classic, 51,232 miles... several tires, lots of oil a few spark plugs and brake pads but ZERO trouble.... People, get off the **** internet and RIDE... Really, an 04 with only 6,000 miles... why?

·
Registered
342 Posts
<My question is, are these bikes any good? >

They are very good bikes, I've owned one since 2003 and have had no problems. It's carburated and I've ridden it from altitudes of 350 feet to 12,500 feet above sea level with no problems or changes to the jetting. Do routine maintenance, keep the tires up and just hit the starter and go. I've spent the winter thinking about buying a second bike, and now that I'm riding it again, I don't know what I would buy. If something happened to that bike, I would probably try to find another 1500 Classic. My dealer has a new 2008 model on his showroom floor, red and white, a beauty!

Take care, Dave

·
Registered
74 Posts
... Really, an 04 with only 6,000 miles... why?
well cause I bought it last year used and it only had 4000 miles on it...and I only put 2000 miles on it from July to November...but for me that was a decent ridin season. I hope to put more miles on it this year but doubt Ill do anymore cause we are having our 2nd baby in May...so I will be restricted ridin Im sure.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
I've got the '05. Fuel injected but most of the rest the same. Easy maintenance, good ride, no complaints.

·
Pinson, Alabama
416 Posts
Hello 2wheel. I put a set of the Kawasaki ribbed grips on a 900. There were no issues. I just put a pair of the ISO grips on my 1500 and wish i would have got the Kawasaki ribbed grips. I am only 5' 6" and the ISO grips feel too large in diameter. They also are slightly longer than the stock grips i tool off.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks vmuth, based on your evaluation I'm going to have them added when I get my 600 mile maintenance. After adding risers, windshield, bags, luggage rack, backrest and engine guard I'm not in the mood to spend another evening trying to install another accessory. The Scootworks PhatII risers were the best accessory so far. I installed them on my 06 1500 and now on my 08. On both bikes I did not need to change or relocate any wires or hoses.

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
well cause I bought it last year used and it only had 4000 miles on it...and I only put 2000 miles on it from July to November...but for me that was a decent ridin season. I hope to put more miles on it this year but doubt Ill do anymore cause we are having our 2nd baby in May...so I will be restricted ridin Im sure.
Too bad the previous owner never really got to enjoy it... Good for you for finding such a great bike with **** near no miles...

Ride safe

Z

1 - 20 of 24 Posts